False Widow Spider Bite

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinsella

Established Member
Reaction score
Working on my workshop external cladding last week and I got bit by a false widow. I have loads of them in the garden. The name obviously suggests its link to its ozzy cousin. But I never realised they could knock out a fit 50yold bloke. Three days off work, nausea, headache, lethargic, aches and pains. An elbow twice its size and as sore as hell. Now can't work in the workshop until the elbow heals. Eight days in and looks like I should be able to get back in next weekend.
I already operate a death penalty for spiders in my workshop but now it will be on sight!!!
Just to let you nature-loving versions that if you pick them up to put them outside, watch out :D

Attachments

• false-widow-spider-150x150.jpg
    false-widow-spider-150x150.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 460
This is one where the “Like” button would not work, so just thanks for the heads up, I’d never heard of these spiders!

They are all over the UK. Doctor in A&E says they see people every summer with swollen legs and arms from them. See locations.

Attachments

• locations.jpg
    locations.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 421
Ive had loads of false widows here, some on the house brickwork, some in garage, some in the garden.

I posted about it on my local nextdoor.co.uk and loads of people responded to say they had them too.

I live near Gatwick airport in West Sussex

I knew they were becoming more common in the south but didn't realise they had been found in scotland.

What super powers do you reckon you have picked up?

;-)

Pete

Racers":1gmjssni said:
What super powers do you reckon you have picked up?

;-)

Pete

I've been doing the ones like, I now have a massively swollen limb (elbow :)) in work or that I can now shoot a white sticky... web all week in work. Only a matter of time HR gives me a call.

didn't realise a bite could be that bad, definitely better than a black widow though, good to see that there aren't too many near Manchester :D

Thanks for the heads up sounds horrific, hope they find it too cold in Northumberland. :shock:

If you want to see a real spider try looking down the fangs of a funnel-web. I've seen a few but didn't dare get close enough to take a pic. :lol: My brother in Sydney fishes dead ones out of his pool and puts them on display in jars :roll:

Attachments

• 91589f0f50fd9ec4f59dd5825d7a27e0.jpg
    91589f0f50fd9ec4f59dd5825d7a27e0.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 258

Latest posts

Back