Fallen timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi Group,
I occasionally get the offer of freshly fallen mature timber on a take it away for a nominal price, usually it is hardwood, ie beech, oak etc.

Can anyone advise me whether this is a viable way of getting timber and as to the best way of treating it and storing it.

In the past others have just sawn it for the fire, surely there must be a better value for it than that.

David.

Evening
I get some "raw" timber now and again.
I seal the ends with PARAFFIN WAX", and leave it in a corner next to my lathe for a few months. depends on how thick it is.
Just got to watch for borer etc.
:D

Of course it depends on how large your timbers are, if the length and widths are sufficient to make lumber out of it,

cut the boards to thickness desired, a band saw works for this, and there are fancier rigs

paint the end, paraffin works excellent, but any exterior paint will help

Stack out of the weather, with good air circulation, putting stickers between the board, (small scraps of wood)

wait until the wood has dried, rule of thumb says 1" of thickness per year.

I also gained some timber but have put in the garage without sealing the ends. it has since started to grow white mould on the end grain - is it too late to clean up and use the parafin

Not necessarily too late to seal the ends, but I would suggest taking a look at it first and removing any split ends. I seal mine with a good coat of neat PVA adhesive - just paint it on and let it dry.

I was recently given a walnut tree, approx 3 feet diameter. All I had to do was fell it and remove it! I eventually got it to my local college in 5ft long sections where it was sawn through&through on their massive resaw bandsaw into 3 and 4 inch planks. It is now 'in the stick' for the next four years or so, when I hope to find good use for it. Hope it will have been worth all the effort.

Latest posts

Back