Falklands

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all, I'm new to this and computing, so bear with me please. The main reason we have the Falklands is because back before the Panama canal the only way ships could sail from east to west was" around the horn" or Cape Horn as it's known. 200 years ago that really was the end of the earth and if your ship was battered in storm your only hope was a desperate 3-400 mile run to the Falklands for repairs.They where an important part of southern ocean naval history that faded out with the opening of the canal, but the people who worked there didn't fade away as inconvenient as that maybe in these modern times, their descendants consider themselves British.It's criminal that people had to die to up hold that right, and I hope it never happens again, but we didn't start it in 1982.

woodbloke":1hl1qig1 said:
Alan Jones":1hl1qig1 said:
I see we are now sending a nuclear sub over :shock:
Lots of folks here nattering about somewhere a long way from the UK, who've never actually been there. I spent two weeks on the islands a couple of years ago and I can tell you that the population of the Falklands is more British than we are, which is really the crux of the issue...whilst they want to remain tied to the UK, HMG will do what's necessary to see that's the case. The fact that a Trafalgar class hunter-killer sub has been deployed is just upping the game, we actually have no idea how many submarines have been deployed in that area since 1982...I suspect it's many more than just this one. The British base at MPA is also vast with around 2000 or so personnel including a then squadron of Tornados (now Typhoons) I went all over the islands...Goose Green, the British cemetery at Blue Beach, the Argentinian cemetery, Stanley and was taken on a personal guided tour of Mount Harriet, one of the battlefields and taken by 42 Commando.
If you ever get a chance to visit, grab it...it's one of the most fantastic places that I've ever been to. Account here if of interest - Rob

=D> =D> =D>

Spot on with the entire post Rob!

I spent three fantastic years of my life there in the 80s and it is one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Life was hard but different and the sense of community and loyalty to the UK was far above anything I have witnessed anywhere in the world.

The Falkland Islanders are as British as anyone in Kent...(wait no...more so!). The population is full of people with ancestors from Scotland, Cornwall particularly and all over the UK in general...along with those born there for many generations.

Their relationship with the Argentine was very friendly up until 1982 and many Argentines married Falkland Islanders and settled in both places. Children were sent to Buenos Aires for secondary schooling and trade was flowing.

The Argentine government of the early 80s invaded to deflect the growing unease in their country with hope that this would make them popular with the people. It backfired.

The residents of the Falkland Islands have just as much right to be defended by HM Forces as the people of the Isle of Wight and it is right that we should do so when threatened. The fact that mineral resources and fishing has been discovered since 1982 should be applauded and defended also.

Jim

Back