Fairly new turner needs help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok folks, I have been turning for a little while, joined a turner's club out here in Bury St. Edmonds and picked up the clubs old lathe. It came with a lot of nitnoid parts, that I can kinda tell what they do, but not really sure how they all fit together. I don't have contact with the guy who gave it to me, but its a good working lathe, but all the chucks, parts and other stuff has got me stumped. Before I start slapping things together and get them spinning fast enough to take off body parts, I wanted to post a video and ask some questions to see if any of you can help me get this thing up to snuff so I can turn with confidence. Here is a link to my youtube page with the 4 minute video... I can add to that or post pics, but if anyone can help, please let me know. Its a fine Tyme Cub lathe that has a rotating face and I want to be able to use it correctly, so if you can help, chime in. Thanks in advance!

Jim

Apparently I can't post a video...can anyone help?

I have a Tyme Avon I still use as a secondary lathe. Pretty much the same as the cub but bigger. I was going to say it's basic but if you are just starting that's no help. The video is something that you can post when you have a few more posts on. Off to bed now but I'll check in the morning see if I can help

Pete

haven`t been on here for awhile,just noticed your post,I have a Tyme cub in my workshop,if your still in need of help,I can show you how things go together/work,regards,

Eric

woodturnerEric":1lw4u238 said:
haven`t been on here for awhile,just noticed your post,I have a Tyme cub in my workshop,if your still in need of help,I can show you how things go together/work,regards,

Eric

Thanks for the offers of help guys, I still can't post a video, probably because I'm new, which is quite frustrating, I also can't email anyone apparently, making this much more difficult...if either of you could email me at james.w.henning at gmail I could send you a link to the video and work it out from there. Thanks again, sorry for the round about way to solve problems here.

As noted in the Global forum rules at the top of each page....

(12) New Members
New members will not be able to post links or send PM's until they have made more than 3 posts.

So you should now be able to post links and pics :)

The first item out of the box is an outboard turning rest and would fit on the headstock end of the lathe. What you described as a screw chuck is correct you will find that if you undo that and remove the plate with the screw in it you can then fit some of the sets of jaws in its place, this will give you the option of different holding methods.
What you called a spinning centre will fit into the tailstock and is called a Revolving centre. The item you then got out are the jaws as I described for the chuck along with the next couple of bits the ring fits into the jaws and is a chuck mounted faceplate. The spanner that you had is for tightening the chuck jaws onto the wood there should be two of them.
The spur thing as you called it is for when you drill out through the centre for a cord to make a light there are probably more parts for that.

If I was you I would take Eric up on his kind offer as there is nothing like hands on to learn the basics. once you have done that then it will become easier.

Jim, what you have a Craft supplies combination chuck which dates back a while maybe even to the seventies all the bits fit into the large screw chuck body the item you thought was some sort of tool for hollowing is the wrench to undo the outer ring of the screw chuck body,not sure if there is anything online as the Company is longer around the Name was sold to Turners retreat a year or two back.
Nick Arnull.RPT.

Welcome to the Forum Jim.
Somebody beat me to it with regards to the Precision collet chuck. I have the same chuck that came with a lathe I bought. It has various methods for holding the work but the main drawback is that is it very fiddly to get all the parts together. There is also very little leaway on the size of spigot/dovetail recess you need for the chuck to fit properly. Once you have got it right however the chuck performs well. As stated the bit you brought out shaped like a ? is one of two spanners you need for tightening the chuck onto the work.

Just in passing, in my view the Tyme Cub/Avon were both seriously under-rated lathes. OK, they didn't have tons of cast iron, but the arrangement of the bed bars was superb, the swivelling headstock and bowl turning arrangements well thought out and they were really nicely made. Stick one on a solid bench, and you've got a very workable wood-spinner.

Thanks everyone for all the advice and help. Eric, I may take you up on that offer when I find some time...as a GI stationed over here in merry Ol' England, I find myself quite busy with world events, but if I can find some time I'd love to come over and get some hands on...and thanks for looking up the chuck instructions! Will get on it today...My wife, Barb, has ordered me to turn her a yarn bowl for her crocheting...honey-do lists never end.

Hi Jim

I have scanned copy of a photocopy of the Tyme Cub Instruction Manual and the accessories list as a couple of pdf files. It works out at 7mb so I guess too large to post here. I could email it to you if you want.

Z

Latest posts

Back