Fair price

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best not to spend to much time on things you cannot change Rob , another will come along soon and in the meantime as you are in no rush the blooming thing wont get in the way or become a dumping ground for all sorts of treasures ;), Following your work with interest , wont be too long now before you get to make it live once again (y)

Evening all

dolly update, The plan for today was to reassemble the dolly, and 1st things a hick-up. I went and laid the shim's on the cast foot and noticed a clash, a 20mm clash with the shim and bearers. So mark them up and removed the offending pieces. cleaned up, primed and repainted.

The clash Remedials and repainted

IMG_0482.JPG IMG_0505.JPG

Hindsight, a plate running the width of each pair and over the span would have been better, giving another four anchor points over the span, and helped rigidity as a hole, and a lot less work without remedials.

Yesterday I gave the trunnion and Its components there final coat of paint, While waiting on the shim's drying after recoat, I removed the masking, and had another go at the fence rack bar.

3rd clean on rack bar with rear fence bar untouched, for contrast

IMG_0496.JPG IMG_0502.JPG

I expect better results once both bars are buffed up.

paint dried and back to the dolly.

Bad picture the sander that I missed out on

IMG_0508.JPG s-l1600.jpg

Now we're near ready for final assembly

Rob

Last edited:
Best not to spend to much time on things you cannot change Rob , another will come along soon and in the meantime as you are in no rush the blooming thing wont get in the way or become a dumping ground for all sorts of treasures ;), Following your work with interest , wont be too long now before you get to make it live once again (y)

Thanks Mark

I'm glad to be nearing the end off this refurb, I have read many posts from UKW Colleagues on there refurbs and projects, and hope you good folks find mine as interesting as I did there's. I regret not documenting the work, with more and better quality pictures and narrative.

Rob

Evening all

Todays update, done some cleaning and polishing of bits and bob this morning, buffing hand wheels, knobs, rise fall cant shaft and components, the trunnion and Its components, this took all morning. I then thought I'd fit the dust chute in the base unit, which was a pain, getting jammed up, chaffing and scratching the internal paint work, requiring touch ups.

How It looked yesterday / and with the chute fitted
IMG_0528.JPG IMG_0538.JPG

With the chute now in place, I thought I'd tackle the main body casting. Well It's heavy but manageable, although laying it down on 4 shim's is a different issue altogether, and preferably a 2 man operation. Anyway I got it down and all shim's moved off course, on hindsight a little double sided tape in each corner would have helped here. So I then had to lift and slide a sliver of wood under each corner to correct the shimming and line up bolt holes. So working my way round doing up the bolts just shy off the bite, and there's always one that you just cant get in. started on the left, working round and as I'm right handed, It's hardest to get too. I even screwed It down from the top in case the underside lead thread was ragged, eventually got there and upper cast is now mounted.

before I dropped the trunnion in / With the polished faces the trunnion
I buffed the machined faces / slides into its natural COG position, silky smooth
IMG_0544.JPG IMG_0541.JPG

I'll have little to do in a day or two, so I think I'll look into making a door for dust containment and extraction mounts on the motor housing end

Rob

Evening all

progress update. I intended to reinstated the trunnion components yesterday, however when I trial fitted the parts after cleaning, to see all was operating as expected, it appeared all was good. Broke it down and put the nut and bolts in a tub, and I forgot to clean them. So a lot off the day was taken up cleaning those, put together the components for the rise and fall shaft bearing, canting shaft with components, ready for pictures. The canting shaft must be in location before the trunnion is fitted. So I thought I'd get the trunnion ready, get some pic's, get it fitted and then some more photo's, or so I thought. I had great difficulty fitting the two bolts from the back off the riving knife pivot bracket and fitting to the riving plate/bracket, I'll go for the lower one 1st as it is harder to get to without the upper bolt making things even tighter. Well I could not get this thing started on a thread, and I'm thinking that something is wrong here? though I've already had it back together and haven't dropped nothing to cause damage. I checked I had some play in the spindle housing, and the riving plate wasn't fixed as yet, so i persevered and eventually got the lower bolt located on the tread, and a few turns with the hex key though not done up. Same issue with the upper bolt and as It's getting darker I thought Id call it a day.

New dawn, new day, Lets see what the problem is here, I checked again that there was a little play in the parts involved in the set up, all appeared to be good, so offered up the bolt, after a few moments I got a start on thread, yes I thought I'm in. Slid in the riving knife blots then fitted the riving knife trapping bolt and socket head grub screw. I could now get everything tightened up. I then tried to slide the slide bracket up and down to see that all was moving as it should be. Well this thing was rock solid, unmoveable. Oh there's something not right here.

So started to investigate what the problem was "please correct me If I'm wrong here" I'm off the opinion that the riving knife pivot bracket should rotate, as the locating pin/bolt in the back end off the trunnion that receives the riving knife bracket, held in place by the rear trapping bolt. So what Is happening Is, the rear trapping bolt is coming hard up against the back end off the riving knife plate, and this is jamming/locking up the hole bracket. If there was rotational movement In the riving knife pivot bracket, then the slide bracket would the clearance required to move freely.

Q/ Should there be rotational movement/Is the pivot bracket seized.

I ordered a bearing puller today, so will change the bearings now also.

Any help here would be very much appreciated, and most welcome.

Apologies for no pics

Evening all

progress up date, Rise and fall shaft bearing and cant shaft with components. Took the pic's this morn.

ready for fitting

IMG_0549.JPG

I thought I'd tidy up a bit and sweep the floor, in the off chance that I may have dropped a bolt, pin or wot not, went through the debris and all good. With the floor swept I had to move the table and extensions, so thought I'd have a go at cleaning them up. The table and extensions have been lying face down on cardboard since coming back from painting.

the main table / I 1st went over them with a light rub with fine wire wool, then brushed off / there is a little pitting, the biggest one
I then went over them with polish and a scouring pad /RH extension upper middle, matchhead radius
IMG_0554.JPG IMG_0561.JPG IMG_0580.JPG

I thought I'd wait until they are mounted levelled and fixed down on the machine, before I give them a final going over. I put the straight edge over them, and they were looking good, again we shall have to wait until there mounted as the extensions may need shimming.
It looks like there's a lot off polish still to be rubbed off, so I thought I'd let them sit for an hour, let them air dry and go over them again with the buffer.

It was then, a man with a van turned up with the bearing puller that I ordered. Great I'll get on with that spindle now, spindle in the vice and get set up. This thing was absolutely solid, sorry no pic's wrapped the vice up a bit more and jammed a spanner in the works, to stop it rotating. A spanner just couldn't do it. So with a bigger wrench now involved and all my wait behind it, I started getting the pully moving up the shaft, little by little and did not get any easier until the top off the pully past over the threads and level to the shaft top, before it freed up. After looking It over and back in the vice, I put the nut back on and with a piece off scrap timber over the nut and a heavy hammer, I was able to knock the spindle out. Now to getting the key out, back in the vice I grabbed an old 1" chisel and the peen hammer, and with 3 or 4 taps either side off the key a few times I began to see I little clean metal below the rust, progress and a few more taps and It was out. Another and in the vice again, and with the puller back on the bearing came out a lot easier. So that was that now done, It's time to look at what the real problem was "the spindle housing and the riving knife pivot bracket" I was off the opinion that this pivot bracket must rotate, and It was this bracket that was the cause off the sliding bracket and riving knife jamming up. well with It now off, It was really hard to tell, and didn't help being painted over. So holding it down over a heavy beam I took a heavy hammer to it, not so much with heavy blows, more with the weight of the hammer and got it moving, back and forth to eventually I got it off.

the riving knife pivot bracket lower right was
seized to the spindle housing upper right, and could not rotate freely

IMG_0582.JPG

I've already gave an opinion, and now stick by It. I don't think this machine has ever had a service off ant kind. If the rise and fall has been jammed up, how can it operate ?

So with that now done, and time wearing on i started putting stuff away. I coated the tables with GT85 and called It a day.

Rob

Evening all

Cleaned all the spindle components this morn, then re-primed the housing and pivot bracket. I now need to order new bearings. I should have bought the bearing puller at the start off the project and had the bearing ordered. Anyway as I'd be waiting on the paint drying and recoating, I thought I'd get on with fitting the parts I could. So on went the cant shaft, worm drive, locking flange, hand wheel and finally the wheel locking pin. I then oiled the machined gusset faces before I dropped in the trunnion and fitted the #2 retaining flanges "finger tight" either end, these were also oil coated. So with the trunnion and cant shaft on, I could now turn the tilt mechanism and see how smoothly it operates, but first a little oil on the worm drive, and what a pleasure it was to operate, so slick. So I wrapped up the retaining flanges and tried the crank again, I seamed to have a lot more resistance, so took the bite off the middle and top bolts on both sides where I was getting this extra friction, and it eased up. So I'm thinking Its no good having these bolts just finger tight, Ok we'll try switching these flanges around and, hey presto bolts done right up and running perfectly. Now for the rise and fall crank, a smear off oil on the trunnion internal housing and slide in the crank, you have to feed/rotate the crank at the same time, and with a little trial and error I finally managed to find the sweet spot for the crank retaining grub screw, as you have to find this blind. I then put on the hand wheel and retaining pin, now the trunnion can fully operate. I spent the next hour or so oiling and finely tuning the trunnion slide bracket retaining plate, just to get that sweet spot, so as everything just flows effortlessly, So I'm well pleased. I then went on and fitted the dust deflection plate, as this wont hinder fitting the spindle and riving knife plate either. I also fitted the motor housing plate. Not much more I can add for now, so I took some measurements to make the door I spoke off, I do have a full sheet off stainless at hand though that was for another project, so I will have to source other material. Maybe get the carcass from an old washing machine from my local recycling depot, now there's an idea.

Sorry no pic's today, heavy rain and winds

Rob

Evening all

Pics from yesterdays progress,

Cleaned spindle components and repainted ,,,,/then went onto fitting cant shaft, worm drive/dropped in the trunnion and fitted the
housing RKP bracket and housing ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,/ handwheel then pinned it in place,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,/retaining flanges before testing out the crank.

IMG_0586.JPG IMG_0591.JPG IMG_0626.JPG

resistance on the crank at full tilt / Rise and fall crank was then fitted, It's a hit or miss getting ,,,,,,,/Now we have both crank handles
so I switched the retaining flanges/the grub retaining pin located,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,/fitted, and things are going well

IMG_0610.JPGIMG_0589.JPG IMG_0595.JPG

So with everything now running super smooth, it was now time to fit the spindle and riving knife, then I hit the problem fitting the bolts in the riving knife pivot bracket, only to discover that the whole mechanism jammed up with the RK fitted, the only explanation for this theory for this was that the RK pivot bracket was seized. which happened to be the case,

IMG_0624.JPG IMG_0620.JPG IMG_0601.JPG

So It was then onto rectifying that problem.

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_0588.JPG
    IMG_0588.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Evening All

Latest progress, the spindle. So I stripped cleaned and repainted it, then back together again. I only had enough room in my vice to take the spindle only, with barely 5mm spare to push it back together again

Tools used for the job, the rings off 3 spanners for,,,,/putting the spindle back into/ the completed job ready to go back onto the trunnion
make-up sizes & 3 of copper pipe in vice,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,/the housing with the RKPB,,,,,/
IMG_0629.JPG IMG_0631.JPG IMG_0649.JPG

So we now have the spindle fitted, riving plate attached, blade fitted and then riving knife finally fitted it's self, that seized RKPB set me back 3 days, I'll be glad to see it in and forgotten about. However when all was fitted, there was slop due to the RKPB moving to freely.

The riving knife pivot bracket was coming up against the saw blade/I also had to add a further 2x washers between the RKP and the trunnion
flange plate. Below you'll see I had to add 2 x washers between the RKPB & RKP/and before fitting the two retaining flanges, see below

IMG_0712.JPG IMG_0716.JPG

This turned out fine "see above" and took out all the slop, and put the RKPB back in the position it belongs, though now moving freely.
The problem the seized bracket was, the R&F sliding bracket holding the spindle drops may 3to1 opposed to the riving knife bracket "see above right" this then caused the retaining flange pin to jam up against that concaved/convex part of the slide mechanism.

Truing up the riving knife to the blade, more problems, as I took no references when removing the spindle, that gave me issues when refitting, so it was in and out a couple of times to get this right. Anyway with that now done and put back together,

Now this part turned out well, as you can see I'm getting contact with the full length off the blade and the riving knife on both sides.
However as you move up the blade, looking from the back. From about 30/40mm from where you see the rule, the riving knife take a twist over the top off the blade, by about 5mm from centre, and will surely cause issue with deep cuts and re sawing.

IMG_0696.JPG IMG_0693.JPG IMG_0689.JPG

I couldn't get a good pic of the twist, I'd have to remove the guard and maybe a sheet off white paper behind it.

Can anyone advise on a solution to rectify this problem IE heat straightening or do I need a new riving knife ?

Any feed back would be appreciated thank you.

Rob

Evening all

Progress up date, Time has come to put the table on. laid out two timbers over the top off the base casting to maybe soften the laydown of the main table, then removed the batons once I'd positioned the bolts over there corresponding holes. Locating and tightening the bolt from the underside was a real ballbreaker, very tight in the corners with zero room to get the washer and nut on, had my arm stuck in the fingerplate recess at one point. Plan B 2x lesser timbers under the table, doing this raised the table above the beefier part off the casting, and closer to the rim and allowed me to fit these nuts. Now fitting the two by the motor housing was no big issue, but the two on the opposite end, well lets say I'm glad the motor wasn't fitted. I had a full knee replacement 3 years back and the others to be done also, so getting up and down is a big problem for me, and you cant kneel down with this disability. Anyway with half the body inside the machine ! For those who asked and thumbs up on those wheels I chose for the dolly, well they are absolutely brilliant, its a one handed job moving the machine around the shop, and only involving the second hand for final positioning, and with the foot pads down the machine is rock solid, I was well impressed. So with my head in the machine and being on wheels, well I'm chasing this thing round of course.

Main table on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,/righthand side table,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,/and with both extensions, completes the table

IMG_0718 (1).JPG /IMG_0750 (1).JPG / IMG_0745.JPG

I have a minute rise approaching the centre on left side table against the main towards the blade, On the right side It's the opposite, and drops away by much the same margin. this anomaly begins from about a 100mm in from both ends. I intend to take the table back off as a whole for final checks and fit the motor, I will then swap the wings around to see if they're any better before final polishing.

I then went onto setting up the fence, I had issues with this also, It just wasn't running as sweet as I'd hoped, and lagging by about 3mm at the far end, to much slop there so needing more tweaking. I did get It running better though. I shall look at It again. Sorry no pics

With the motor still in Glasgow, windings done £76 cost with vat sitting in my cousins house, who'll be coming through when the travel ban is lifted shortly. so over the next week or so I'll tidy the work shop and look at getting power in. I also got 5 really good sets off twin tube lights from a friend "blaster/painter" who's changing out his system to LED's and saved a good few bob there.

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_0721 (1).JPG
    IMG_0721 (1).JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 5
Back