Fair price

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo-Star

Established Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon folks,

This machine has come up for sale near me 40 mile, the guys looking for £1250 for it. I was thinking that it was a bit pricey, so thought that I'd come and ask your opinion on it, and maybe give me a ball park figure that I could offer, and try negotiate a fair price for both parties. The table bed is very clean also.

Any input would be appreciated.

1614094545990.png

This Multico has also come up near me also 2 mile, though needs a bit of attention £300

1614095632960.png

Best approach is to look up sold prices on ebay. I think that is an AGS10, sold prices range from £300-£600. After that is comes down to condition, if bearings etc are worn out or things missing (fence, tables, knobs etc) the price needs to come down. If it has extras (looks like it has the original mitre gauge), or has been renovated then add some on. Then it's about how much you can afford/want to pay to get your hands on a saw now, and that is local.

Re the Wadkin I guess as most new machinery is in short supply it’s a sellers market, I sold aa AGS in really good condition 7 years ago for £500 so £1250 does sound a little steep.

The Wadkin is a solid machine but I also think that price is steep. I don't think the Multico has a tilt arbor. I had a simpler model and it appears to share the same pivoting fence design. Mine had a nice 3hp single phase motor. At £300 it has to be worth a look and if a matter of just a good clean up then could be a good buy.

Colin

£1250 for the AGS is quite high but not completely out of order, providing it has both table extensions and the main fence is in good condition etc. From the details I can see, it was made between 1963 and 1968. You could check the machine no. for the exact date. This earlier one (pic below), with its original single phase motor and switchgear and in cleaner condition, went for the same price on an Ebay auction last year. There's a nice AGS12 with the improved (post 1977) fence on Facebook MarketPlace for £1000, at the moment. I'd say a fair price for the one in your pic would be somewhere between £750 and £900.

AGS 1.jpg

Last edited:
@MilesH just out of interest was the £1000 one in Barrow in Furnace, one at that price has just popped up on machinery sales on Facebook

Thank you for your replies lads, the knowledge and information you guys supply to the layman is invaluable to me, and I thank you all for your input.

Update

I missed out on the Multico, it when for the £300 asking price the same day off advertising, I should have jumped on it right away, it did have the tilting arbor

The Wadkin AGS my preferred option as it appears to be in mint condition and well looked after. I offered £850 he ain't got back to me on it. thoough

Sorry, I was to continue and hit the wrong key.

The machine is 3 phase and I think he'd take the grand if offered. However I am in no great hurry to get a table saw at the moment, it just looked really nice, and I'm sure those splash marks will clean off.

The problem that I'm having is with SSE, I've been putting my new workshop together for the past 3 year, building it all by myself and I'm not a brickie, then the roof ,door and electrics. Anyway Feb last year I applied for Scottish power to come out and move my meter 4cm in order to fit a new larger CU to accommodate the extra wiring required, then the covid hit. After many emails and phone calls and putting complaints on trustpilot about there lack of customer service, they started corresponding with me. Of course they are blaming covid, and I do believe that I've moved up near the front of the queue to have this simple task completed, though that remains to be seen.

Anyway electrics are all in the shop and ready to go, bar power connection in house, mitre station semi completed so still fitting out, while working off an extension cable

Will update if and when this happens, and with the saw if I go for it.

Kind regards

Thank you all

It seems to be the original Green Hammerite paint finish. It's usually quite easy to clean paint splashes from Hammerite and conversely quite difficult to overpaint it satisfactorily!

Nothing annoys me more than machines that have been tarted up with a hand paint job on top of existing paint. They always look naff and it makes for a whole lot more work when you're stripping them back to bare metal in order to respray them properly.
Oh, the factory paint wasn't hammerite by the way ...

Nothing worse than a Wadkin Bursgreen sprayed hammer finish from the late 70s though :)

I spent about 3 years waiting for the right saw to come up at the right price. I missed a few because I spent too long thinking about it or thought it was maybe £200 overpriced. It turned out well because I ended up with a great saw but looking back I should have just got on and bought one at the start, would have saved me hours trawling through Ebay, Gumtree etc.

The problem that I'm having is with SSE, I've been putting my new workshop together for the past 3 year, building it all by myself and I'm not a brickie, then the roof ,door and electrics. Anyway Feb last year I applied for Scottish power to come out and move my meter 4cm in order to fit a new larger CU to accommodate the extra wiring required, then the covid hit. After many emails and phone calls and putting complaints on trustpilot about there lack of customer service, they started corresponding with me. Of course they are blaming covid, and I do believe that I've moved up near the front of the queue to have this simple task completed, though that remains to be seen.
When SSE eventually come to you, get them to put in a cut out, so in future your electrician can work on the board without pulling their fuse.

Update on the AGS

The guy just wasn't having it, and stopped corresponding with me on the £850 offer.

I offer £900 yesterday, and the saw is now mine, to pick up this week. these saws do not come up as often in Scotland as they do in England.'m

There was a Wadkin SP12 for sale near me for £600 though to big for my small home WS.

I did contemplate buying the DW 7492 for its small size and building it into a frame, giving me larger surface area. Though went off that idea.

Mike, I have already purchased the isolation switch breaker to be fitted by SSE, along with the CU.

I may tackle taking off the hammerite sometime in the future, as I have seen some lovely paint jobs you guys have done on your machines posted here. Though I cannot play with my new toy as yet, I

I will now be looking for an appropriate VFD for the 3hp motor "would this be a 2.2 or a 3kw for this hp size"

Good evening all

Saw update

Well I went and collected the saw this evening, Ewan the seller had removed the two extension tables for me. I had to remove the top and split in two again in order to get the machine out off his shop, as the pair of shop front doors when opened was only 900Mm wide opening onto the street.

Well got speaking to Ewan whom now I've met in person, This guy had taken over his fathers/grandfathers business in Edinburgh, Makers of Coffins and Bagpipes, though no longer doing the coffins. Anyway he told me that he was a young boy when his grandfather bought the saw, and that it had never moved from that day on "I thought well that's great news to here" there was some really nice, aged machines in the shop that I would have loved to looked over, and that he had an old antique band saw in the cellar that was propping up/ tied into the ceiling and concreted into the floor. I would loved to have seen that also. Amazing what hidden gems places like this have hidden away. I shall keep in touch in the off chance he may be selling on anymore goodies.

So got the saw, one previous owner with all original parts, and looks to be in minted condition. I paid Ewan the £900 for the saw, original asking price was £1500 I got involved at £1250 And I do believe that I got a cracking saw for the money.

3 phase motor mounted, and I don't think the windings are accommodated for Delta wiring, though I was budgeting for the cost of a new 3HP motor.

so tomorrow I shall start cleaning and looking over my new toy, and hope all is as good as it seems, Cant wait.

Latest posts

Back