Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Fair price for salvage mahogany?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

t8hants

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

My local salvage-yard has a quantity of mahogany strips 5/8"x4"x4', varnished on one side. They have been sitting in the rain for the last few weeks, but apart from that look in good condition. I can hold my own in pricing building timber, but I don't have a clue when it comes to what would be a fair price for this sort of thing. What do you think would be a reasonable price for a strip?

Gareth

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
Not a lot at that size. Unless you have a project and would have had to buy new. It sounds like the sort of stuff I'd get from a skip and then 10 years later find that I still hadn't found a use for them!

hanser

Established Member
Reaction score
I built an extension to my cottage some years ago using reclaim beams/joists/boards etc. You have to be very selective and bide your time for the right gear.

Small strips, weathered wont be much use. I'm sure the yard would want a decent price, but if they can't even be bothered to keep the rain off the stuff.......

I recall going to see some maple strip floor that had been left out - bent like bananas and abslutely no use whatsover. I eventually got some from another demolition site but only on condition it was taken up whilst the factory roof was still on and then delivered to me direct. The time I spent denailing, cleaning the tongues and grooves, putting it through a sheet sander and then there's the wastage. I'd have been better off buying new.

Tony Spear

Established Member
Reaction score
Mike Wingate":3lfpcfka said:
I bought some maple that was flooring in a Bolton mill. That took some cleaning.
I assume that was after St. Fred died, otherwise, it would probably ended up as part of another of his sheds! :mrgreen:

Latest posts