Faceplate use.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Democritus

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Am I right in thinking that a faceplate should never be used to secure end grain spindles, I.e screwed into the end grain of the spindle blank and then mounted on the lathe?
The reason I ask is that I came across a YouTube video made by someone called Roger Webb who was demonstrating how to turn a hollow vase from a spindle blank by mounting it on the lathe in this way. Isn’t it dangerous to do this?

Basically YES you should NEVER screw into end-grain ---- the screw-thread simply cuts through the wood fibers

I'm guilty of doing that. I must have been really lucky, so far I have never had a problem, except when screw tip became exposed. I also use a screw chuck all the time with only one screw into the end grain. I have never had any problems. On my faceplate I will use the outer screw holes to reduce the load on them. On a big bit of wood I might use all six screw holes. I just make sure it's secured firmly and the screw/s aren't overhauled. Surely others do it?

Screw chuck.JPG

Screwing in to end grain won't give as much grip as in side grain but whether it's good enough depends on the wood and the type of screw. A denser wood could probably still be mounted with screws in the end grain but if any doubt, you can always add tailstock support - ideally with a ring centre rather than a conical centre.

Lots of variables.
If you have a chuck probably best to mount between centres, shape & cut a mounting tenon.
The longer & heavier the piece the more screws needed & tailstock support until it gets in the way.

These small ducks are held in a recess by 3 screws. As they are turned off centre the forces can be greater but I've not had one come off yet.
Duck (off centre) & Sanding Disc.jpg

Best avoided , However it has been done, as long as you don't over tighten the screws and use ALL the screw holes , Also you are more likely to rip off the work if you have a catch / dig in

I don’t think I’d want to try hollowing on a face plate but all the fruit I’ve turn has been done on a screw chuck which is into end grain with only one screw, I’ve never had a problem & I’ve turn a lot of apples & pears.
That said as with many things it depends on your experience level, personally a chuck would be my method of holding when hollowing.

It's the length that matters - a few inches, a piece of fruit a knob or something on a screw chuck is fine, but to try to turn something a foot or more long screwed onto a faceplate is asking for trouble. Incidentally, a proper screw chuck and four woodscrews through a faceplate are different things.

Back