Facebook

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
henton49er":1ypaqrm3 said:
Does anyone else feel the same as me about Facebook?
Al Jankovic sums it up nicely:
Absolutely! I was sucked into joining FB several years ago ... I thought I'd deactivated the account a year ago but they still keep sending me emails saying they haven't seen me for a while etc. ... and as for Twitter :evil:

RogerP":3qj0l40n said:
I was sucked into joining FB several years ago ... I thought I'd deactivated the account a year ago but they still keep sending me emails saying they haven't seen me for a while etc. ... and as for Twitter :evil:

Yes Roger, I had someone from Dogsey urge me to join (Twice actually) I did, and set up seven names of people I knew but I could never work out if I was sending a message one to one, to the group I set up, to all registered FB users, or to the entire world, it was ridiculous :lol:

Now I keep getting e-mails saying "Do you know so and so" and looking at some of the names I feel like replying "No, and I never would want to be friends with some one who has a name like that" :lol:

Regret ever getting registered and will never go back.

The estimate is 80 million fake IDs on faecebook. One of the great things of my personal email account set up in the 1990s or maybe the late 80's is that I have an infinite number of email addresses. So if I want to try things out then I make up a name. Apple Mail has rules you can setup so once I want to disappear as it were I just set up a rule to automatically delete emails to that address.

RogerS":lmir4cbc said:
The estimate is 80 million fake IDs on faecebook. One of the great things of my personal email account set up in the 1990s or maybe the late 80's is that I have an infinite number of email addresses. So if I want to try things out then I make up a name. Apple Mail has rules you can setup so once I want to disappear as it were I just set up a rule to automatically delete emails to that address.

Anyone else wanting an easy way to do what Roger can do might like to know about http://tempinbox.com/.

Without Facebook there would be no Jeremy Kyle show [-o< or should that be the other way round :-k

When I want the world to know the inn's and out's of my last fart :-$ i will join Facebook and Twitter :-& but until then I shall continue to do things the old fashioned way by writing a letter (email is a necessary evil as are mobile phones :mrgreen: ) , making a phone call or getting off my bum and actually going to talk face to face with someone.

I confess to having watched several episodes of the JK show :oops: :-" :-" :-" my psychiatrist tells me damage should not be permanent :roll:

MARK.B.":2wyf3we0 said:
Without Facebook there would be no Jeremy Kyle show [-o< or should that be the other way round :-k

When I want the world to know the inn's and out's of my last fart :-$ i will join Facebook and Twitter :-& but until then I shall continue to do things the old fashioned way by writing a letter (email is a necessary evil as are mobile phones :mrgreen: ) , making a phone call or getting off my bum and actually going to talk face to face with someone.

I confess to having watched several episodes of the JK show :oops: :-" :-" :-" my psychiatrist tells me damage should not be permanent :roll:

Mark, we have to differ I'm afraid. I am a regular FB and twitter user. It's a great way to keep an eye on what the kids are doing....although Skype is rapidly taking over.
I have tried to watch Jeremy Kyle on a couple of occasions and have lasted only minutes. Each to their own.....you sad person :lol: ...Your turn!

Graham, if it works for you my friend then long may it continue to do so :)
I used to be sad until i discovered that you can get to watch re-runs of the Jerry Springer show :D

MARK.B.":1kcg3wff said:
Graham, if it works for you my friend then long may it continue to do so :)
I used to be sad until i discovered that you can get to watch re-runs of the Jerry Springer show :D
:D :wink:

RogerP":1ljow6ij said:
henton49er":1ljow6ij said:
Does anyone else feel the same as me about Facebook?
Al Jankovic sums it up nicely:
Absolutely! I was sucked into joining FB several years ago ... I thought I'd deactivated the account a year ago but they still keep sending me emails saying they haven't seen me for a while etc. ... and as for Twitter :evil:

Same for me, no Facebook or Twitter. Both are for those who have an insecure life and need remote contact with similar humans. :cry:

I use facebook, have a very secure life!! My wife and I both use fb (but not twitter) She uses it predominately to keep in touch with friends back home (she moved here to west wales from sunny wiltshire) and I use it to keep in touch with long standing friends (predominately from the landrover owners community)....We both have access to each others accounts as trust/fidelity isnt an issue....hell we even play online scrabble via facebook when I am not home!! I will admit fb has its faults and may cause problems for people who are ummmm jeremy kyle fodder........b ut it can be useful for the honest ones amongst us...Plymouth Pirate....bit of an unfair and unjust sweeping generalisation by you I think!!

Not sure how using FB to communicate with like minded people differs all that much from using an internet forum for the same purpose.

Edit: But I absolutely agree on the forwarding rubbish front whether its on FB, by e-mail (or even on forums).

I know this is an old thread, I went to find it rather than start a new one.

'Almost' everyone is on FB these days. Most use it to diarise their every move and thought. I use it primarily to keep up with my grown up kids and their lives. However, I've recently discovered the broad diversity that it covers. I've been involved in motorcycle racing since I was a kid and was fortunate enough to be a mechanic for 5 years 1 of which was at top level.
At the British GP in 1982 we were parked back to back with the works Sanvanero team. We were also running a Sanvanero. The works riders were Ricardo Tormo and Pier Paolo Bianchi. We became very friendly with them both over the extended weekends racing. they finished 2nd and 3rd in the race (I think), and Pier Paolo presented me with his Michelin podium cap signed by them both. I have treasured this over the years and it sits in a frame on the wall still, along with other memorabilia.
By joining a 'racing page' on Facebook, I have come across Pier Paolo after all these years and have just enjoyed a long conversation with him (via Google translate as his English is poor). We have exchanged several race photo's and I sent him one of the cap. It has made my week, I'm at a race meeting this weekend and will be boring everyone there with the tale.

So for all you Facebook nay-sayers, look more closely, it has plenty to offer.....there may even be a woodworking page....I'm off for a look.

Attachments

• shrunk.jpg
    shrunk.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 485
cough - Edward Snowden - cough.

We don't do Google any more, never mind Faceache or skype.

Tin foil hat .... on. 8-[

Back