Face Shields

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonsdale73

Established Member
Reaction score
Hopefully a much simpler question - anyrecommendations.

NB: I have a Trend Pro Respirator which is great for short spells but find wearing it for any legth of time results in a sore head form all the cold air blown over it!

I have the Trend too. I also have the Axminster cap, which is a great deal more comfortable to use for long periods and although less effective at particle filtration than the fiddly Trend, it is a lot better than just a face shield. My go to unless I expect very fine particles, is the Axminster one.

AJB Temple":15s4g2a4 said:
I have the Trend too. I also have the Axminster cap, which is a great deal more comfortable to use for long periods and although less effective at particle filtration than the fiddly Trend, it is a lot better than just a face shield. My go to unless I expect very fine particles, is the Axminster one.

This?

If you're just looking for a face shield without any respirator or filtering function, I have found the Honeywell Bionic to be very good.
Overpriced in the UK, but comfortable, and it doesn't mist up like some of the cheaper ones as long as you buy the anti-mist scratch resistant version: https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/persona ... UL9601724M.
Be careful, the polycarb visor is also available without the anti-mist and anti-scratch coatings.
Duncan

Duncan A":1gj50pks said:
If you're just looking for a face shield without any respirator or filtering function, I have found the Honeywell Bionic to be very good.
Overpriced in the UK, but comfortable, and it doesn't mist up like some of the cheaper ones as long as you buy the anti-mist scratch resistant version: https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/persona ... UL9601724M.
Be careful, the polycarb visor is also available without the anti-mist and anti-scratch coatings.
Duncan

Yes, this is more the kind of thing I have in mind. I had something similar looking when I first set up a workshop, I recall it being described a 'forrestry' but was made by Silverline and more of a health hazard than not wearing one! At the one woodturner's club meeting I managed to squeeze in afore the lockdown I was given the use of one which looked similar to the Silverline but sat where it should, flipped up out of the way when needed (and stayed there!) and was generally better all round. No badges or markings to indicate make or model though.

Rag'n'bone brown recommended the Bionic and linked to one on amazon; it's polycarbonate but I think the uncoated version. The acetate version from Cromwell is almost half the price of amazon but would this likely be far too flimsy to offer as much protection?

Lonsdale73":xudqm167 said:
Duncan A":xudqm167 said:
Duncan

Yes, this is more the kind of thing I have in mind. I had something similar looking when I first set up a workshop, I recall it being described a 'forrestry' but was made by Silverline and more of a health hazard than not wearing one! At the one woodturner's club meeting I managed to squeeze in afore the lockdown I was given the use of one which looked similar to the Silverline but sat where it should, flipped up out of the way when needed (and stayed there!) and was generally better all round. No badges or markings to indicate make or model though.

Rag'n'bone brown recommended the Bionic and linked to one on amazon; it's polycarbonate but I think the uncoated version. The acetate version from Cromwell is almost half the price of amazon but would this likely be far too flimsy to offer as much protection?

Do people actually find that the mist coating helps?

The original I bought had the mist coating, and it still misted a bit, but not much really. When I went to buy a replacement visor (because the old one had weird surface damage which think was my grinder as it had a grey tint to surface discolourations), they din't have any stock of the coated ones, so I just bought the far cheaper Polycarbonate Clear basic version, and I can't say I have noticed much of a difference?

Wear a motorcycle balaclava. You can get ones which have quite a big face hole.

If you are using these face shields for turning to protect the face from items leaving the chuck at speed you need to make sure that the material used for the visor has an adequate impact rating.

I believe EN166 Medium Impact, being the minimum.
Some brands of face shields have models that 'look' the same but are fitted with different grades of plastic some of which do not have an impact rating.

Yes Londsdale. That one. Super comfortable and effective. I get hay fever all through the season from March to September and a coupl of acres of grass to cut regularly. I sit on the tractor in my mask and get no sneezes. I also use it when spraying and sanding. Trend is used when using chainsaws etc as it has a solid top.

AJB Temple":1rsycdah said:
Yes Londsdale. That one. Super comfortable and effective. I get hay fever all through the season from March to September and a coupl of acres of grass to cut regularly. I sit on the tractor in my mask and get no sneezes. I also use it when spraying and sanding. Trend is used when using chainsaws etc as it has a solid top.

I did like the look of that one but ended up buying the Trend. I know I won't get on with a balaclave and budget won't extend to an Axi (unless someone makes me a very generous offer for the Tend!) so leaning towards the Honeywell.

The acetate visor is not very strong, but is better for chemical resistance. Polycarb is the one for turning.
As for anti-mist, all I can say is that the cheap generic polycarb type as sold by Axi mist up so badly, for me, as to be unusable. Don't forget that anti-scratch is also nice to have.
There are all sorts of proprietary anti-mist fluids but cheapskates like me use washing up liquid.
Duncan

I have a JSP active powered face shield. I find it comfortable to wear. If buying such a face shield it is important that the shield/visor is capable of protecting you from impacts from stuff coming off the lathe. The JSP comes in two forms, and you should buy the version designated IP. It costs about £30 more than the standard version, but you have to ask yourself ‘ are my handsome features (or even life) worth £30 ?....
D

These are incredibly hard to get hold of right now and there are some shameless individuals charging ridiculous prices for even the basic, £20 model. Online ordering haas been suspended - partly to ensure there are adequate supplies for NHS staff and other keyworkers who might need one and, it seems, to stop the profiteers from profiteering. If I'm lucky then I should get one mid-August; will have to persevere with the Trend and a supply of Neurofen in the meantime.

Similar to the bionic mentioned above is the Optrel clearmaxx.
Intended for folk doing metal grinding, it's a better quality shield and comfortable. Great as a non PAPR option for turning. Optrel make some of the very best welding visors.
Replacement polycarb is quite costly however.
optrel-clearmaxx-standard-800x800.png

Attachments

• optrel-clearmaxx-standard-800x800.png
    optrel-clearmaxx-standard-800x800.png
    335.9 KB · Views: 583
I have a Trend Pro Respirator which is great for short spells but find wearing it for any legth of time results in a sore head form all the cold air blown over it!
I always wear a hat when wearing my Trend Pro.

Those Clearmax visors look interesting, what is the impact rating of them? EN166-B or EN166-f?

I wonder how many people observe the shelf life advice on their visors and replace them when needed. Most manufacturers seem to state 2-3 years shelf life for their products. I use the Honeywell bionic visors and those have a 2 year life.

jsp powercap for me, I can wear it all day without a problem, also good for beardy types like me!!!!

Holy flip! Beware of calling Cromwell Tools on the number they give on their website. I've just received my mobile bill and the call to check availability and place my order came to £8.88 - or 20% on top of the order value!

Lonsdale73":1az83gqp said:
Holy flip! Beware of calling Cromwell Tools on the number they give on their website. I've just received my mobile bill and the call to check availability and place my order came to £8.88 - or 20% on top of the order value!
Is it due to them having a premium number or your phone contract? If the former then that is well out of order.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

sammy.se":rggixprg said:
Lonsdale73":rggixprg said:
Is it due to them having a premium number or your phone contract? If the former then that is well out of order.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Former; they've altered their website so you can't add items to a basket and checkout as you normally would and they list a number for you to call. No mention it's a premium rate number and it took forever for the call handler to process my order.

Back