Face Shield

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCMG001

Reaction score
Interested to hear if there are any good recomendations for a face shield thats impact effective. I would like to use this for when using a table saw, sometimes a grinder, and also planning to get a router? I havent seena post on this for a while, so may be some new products out and interested to hear anyones experience and recomendations. Thanks in advance

Interested to hear if there are any good recomendations for a face shield thats impact effective. I would like to use this for when using a table saw, sometimes a grinder, and also planning to get a router? I havent seena post on this for a while, so may be some new products out and interested to hear anyones experience and recomendations. Thanks in advance
I use the axminster one for woodturning and the like. It's inexpensive, comfortable and seems to work - also replacement parts are available.

What about trend airshield or jsp powercap ( or the rebranded axminster version ). Not sure if they are impact resistant to a high standard but they do have built in air filters so 2 birds with one stone.
I have an airshield which is not bad, but gets heavy on the neck after too long.

Ollie

The Honeywell one is much nicer than the cheap versions and I would say good value.
The Optrel one is dearer still but the best of all I've used so far.
Air fed visors are costly and a bit heavy so you won't be choosing those unless you need protection from dust while turning / grinding / sanding / etc

Over the years I've used a number of protective face shields. I currently use a mixture - a bog standard visor type, as seen worn by old ladies in most supermarkets (during these pandemic times). I usually were this one for cutting/grinding metal and light turning with respiratory protection underneath. My Trend Airshield Pro (with internal air supply and filter) for turning and sanding wood. And the thing you can see below, its an ex-Police Riot Helmet which you can get off Ebay. The visor perspex is about 4mm thick and I use this for the really heavy, dodgy pieces I get onto the lathe - you know the ones where the lathe does a dance of death around the shop and you wonder if you'll make it to the next tea-break!

1cop.jpg

And the thing you can see below, its an ex-Police Riot Helmet which you can get off Ebay. The visor perspex is about 4mm thick and I use this for the really heavy, dodgy pieces I get onto the lathe - you know the ones where the lathe does a dance of death around the shop and you wonder if you'll make it to the next tea-break!

View attachment 101109

You could sell that for a fortune in Washingtn DC at the moment! 😂

A faceshield is a good idea in that it protects your face, but they dont sit well with a dustmask on and the biggest problem is the dust electrostaticly sticks to the visor, so you end up trying to peer through the damned thing.

Using the Bionic shield, with the polycarbonate and anti fog visor fitted, lightweight and comfortable.
Had one headshot from an exploding 6" bowl while turning, did its job well and its low down neck design stopped visor crashing into my nose.

Have both the bionic one from honeywell and the sphere from bolle: Bolle Sphere Sphere Face Shield Black
(Got two because sometimes the 8yo likes to help on the lathe). I prefer the bolle one myself, the bionic is so light that even though I know it passed the safety standards, I have more confidence in the bolle (but that's mostly in my head than in reality).

Using the Bionic shield, with the polycarbonate and anti fog visor fitted, lightweight and comfortable.
Had one headshot from an exploding 6" bowl while turning, did its job well and its low down neck design stopped visor crashing into my nose.

So the anti fog is worth it?
Does it need 'renewing'?
TIA
Greg

So the anti fog is worth it?
Does it need 'renewing'?
TIA
Greg
It does work generally, but if it's been really cold in workshop then it does fog a bit initially, but clears up as it warms up.
Not renewed mine yet, but only had it a year.

Try this.
Clean your visor first. put a little washing up liquid on the dry visor and then polish out using a dry cloth. This leaves a tiny film of soap that breaks the surface tension of condebsation and helps prevent misting. Not very durable but effectively free.
Motorcyclists have some spray products available too.

Over the years I've used a number of protective face shields. I currently use a mixture - a bog standard visor type, as seen worn by old ladies in most supermarkets (during these pandemic times). I usually were this one for cutting/grinding metal and light turning with respiratory protection underneath. My Trend Airshield Pro (with internal air supply and filter) for turning and sanding wood. And the thing you can see below, its an ex-Police Riot Helmet which you can get off Ebay. The visor perspex is about 4mm thick and I use this for the really heavy, dodgy pieces I get onto the lathe - you know the ones where the lathe does a dance of death around the shop and you wonder if you'll make it to the next tea-break!

View attachment 101109
that has made my day.

i know what my next evilbay purchase is :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

If you strugle to get one the Honeywell Bionic masks with the antimist polycarbonate visor you can get either the acetate or non-antimist versions and buy the visor separate. I have one of these which is so light and comfortable that it's easy to forget I'm wearing it at all. I do have a Trend Airpro too which is great at what it does but its weight and - especially at this time of year - the constant flow of cold air make it better suited to short-burst usage.

View attachment 101109

I've got a couple in the loft somewhere never thought about using them at the lathe.

Back