Face Plate size guide

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
On my old lathe, I turned a few bowls (from 6" blanks) using a SC3 chuck with 50mm jaws and the standard face plate (which I think was 3').

Upgraded lathe a few months ago that has a 14" capacity, I'm not going to max out that capacity but thought I'd try some shallow bowls or platters in the 10-12" range. I've got some blanks that are about 13" in diameter.

Currently I've only got the faceplate that came with the lathe and ring that was supplied with a SC4 (both 3"). Do I need to get a bigger faceplate? I've seen quite a few people start off between centres but I'd feel more comfortable using a plate.

edit: The lathe supplied face plate has 6 screw holes and the faceplate ring has 4.

As long as you take light cuts, and use the tailstock where possible a 13" blank will be ok on a 3" faceplate, its more about how long the screws are to get a good grip. However for a making a platter, a faceplate with screws is not ideal as they will probably ruin the centre of the piece. If you are not comfortable putting a large blank between centres you could glue a piece of scrap wood to one side, screw the faceplate to that, and then turn a tennon on the other side, with the tailstock supporting it.

Couple of points. Nothing stopping you drilling more holes in the one you have - I did so now 8 holes in all mine.

Also you can open up the holes you have to take a No.10 screw - nice deep thread so ace hold.

Also a tip I got from Phil Irons - countersink both sides of the faceplate. On the wood side it gives the small bits of wood that can by pulled out of a hole as you drive the screw in somewhere to go - stops the wood being lifted off the faceplate by a small amount that can then result in vibration.

happy turning,
Simon

Thank you again guys, some really helpful advice.
I've got the screw that came with the SC4 but never used it. Might have to give that a try sometime.

Think about the state of the blank. If its sound, well prepared and with a flat face to screw it to, a faceplate is fine. If its irregular, green/soft or you don't think the screws are getting traction, a scew chuck might be better. Regardless of which I use I always bring the tailsotck up and keep it there as long as I can, at the very least until its all nicely round and in balance.

I made this - concentric rings drawn by sharpie on a piece of acetate cut from a folder. I put it on lathe and just held pen against toolrest and rotated by hand. You can see the centre point and the 4 guide holes for a faceplate. Its quick to lay on a blank and even if its irregular get pretty close to centre.
centre guide.jpg

Thank you Richard, that's a great idea. I'll be copying that.
All the timber blanks I've got are as dry as they can be, flat and I can't see any defects (at the moment).
I've never tried wet turning yet.

Back