Face masks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess the benefits of a face mask are that you don't cough/sneeze over others (and it's a minor reminder to try to not touch your face). A visor is more effective for stopping you being coughed/sneezed on; which is going to be a bigger issue for a doctor treating patients.

Well ironically I didn't touch my face once for over 4 months when out in public, as soon as I started wearing a mask I have to touch my face several times a minute to adjust the damn thing or scratch my face. Everyone I see in public is constantly fiddling with their masks as well.

the estimates are between 15 to 23 times an hour depending if you are in public or private for some reason

I definitely didn't touch my face before the masks. We had a procedure, I was the "dirty" one who touched items in the shops and pushed the trolley, my partner read the list, chose the items, paid, held the shopping bags etc. If I had an itch she would scratch it for me and she would confirm that I never touched my face until I wore a mask.

I fully accept that in normal circumstances we do touch our faces a lot, and at home I am sure I do it without thinking, but when you are concentrating and thinking about it constantly it's very easy to avoid. We have had a lot of practice from travelling on the underground and would watch each other to make sure we didn't do it. We never got sick in London even when friends travelling with us did.

Anyway I notice social media has gone back to berating people for enjoying themselves on beaches, just like they did a few months ago, even though nothing bad happened.

How can you possibly be sure 'nothing bad happened'? As I said previously (and you conspicuously ignored) that's rather hard to quantify, given there are no graphs or stats for people who converge on southern beaches, and sit for several hours in a seething ant-heap of humanity, and then disperse back to their homes all over the south of England and beyond.

Here in Bournemouth we get day trippers from as far away as Nottingham and Leicester. Some of the idiots defacing and befouling Durdle Door were from Manchester. Who's to say that those hotspots in the Midlands and around Manchester didn't kick off after people contracted the virus on a day trip to the beach?

Nice try, but that BBC article is talking about increases in infections in Bournemouth. And then it goes on to say exactly what I did - they have no way of telling if visitors spread the infection among themselves and then took it home with them.

Edit to add: not surprised at all that the infection rate here only rose marginally - Bournemouth residents know better than to go to the grockle hotspots even in normal times.

Last edited:
Did you read all of it? It also looks at other tourist hotspots.
At the time you will recall there were cries of "second wave" accompanying the pictures of the beach. Hmmm how did that turn out.
It's ok to admit you were wrong you know, the world won't end. But of course no-one on here ever does, just tow the line and stay stubborn lest you look foolish.

Yes, I did read it all. Read it a while ago actually. It makes exactly my point.

The words 'pot 'kettle' and 'black' are coming to mind here. I'm not the one posting garbage every five minutes, as you can see by my post count.

The words 'pot 'kettle' and 'black' are coming to mind here. I'm not the one posting garbage every five minutes, as you can see by my post count.
The Emperor's new clothes comes to mind as well, the guy suggesting it's ok to admit you're wrong never does so himself. ;)

When I am proved wrong, I will admit it, I am not too proud to do that unlike some.

As usual though, all piling on the insults while I remain polite and keep to the topic and avoid personal attacks.

*sigh*

The insults started with implying that I was 'stubborn' and 'looking foolish'. Now, I'm a big boy and that's water off a duck's back, but you did ask.

I can't remember the last time I had a 'You started it!' 'No, You did!!!' argument. It must have been 65 years ago with my sister.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say calling someone stubborn was an insult (I am fairly stubborn myself) and it was directed at a group rather than you specifically but oh well. If you are a big boy though as you say, why fuss about it in the first place? You obviously were bothered enough to throw an actual insult at me.

Anyway I'll leave it there, please if you don't like what I say, don't engage, ignore me, do a Roger and a snipe from afar if you must (lol). But please don't attack me personally.

Last edited:
*sigh*

The insults started with implying that I was 'stubborn' and 'looking foolish'. Now, I'm a big boy and that's water off a duck's back, but you did ask.

I can't remember the last time I had a 'You started it!' 'No, You did!!!' argument. It must have been 65 years ago with my sister.
I heartily recommend the use of the Ignore option. It removes all the drivel from a thread! NB I'm not Ignoring you ....

.... why fuss about it in the first place?

Not fussing at all. You're the one who upped the ante with the first personal dig:

"It's ok to admit you were wrong you know, the world won't end. But of course no-one on here ever does, just tow (sic) the line and stay stubborn lest you look foolish."

Prior to that I was, quite reasonably I thought, pointing out that one can't categorically state that "nothing bad" happened after the mass gatherings at Bournemouth beach and other places, where social distancing went out the window - because people dispersed all over the country and it's impossible to quantify. You then posted a rebuttal link to a BBC report that in fact actually agreed with me, i.e.:

"We also don't know if visitors spread the infection among themselves and then returned with it to their home areas."

And then you took umbrage and started with the personal stuff. Just so we get the facts straight.

Face masks for kids in schools, who comes up with this idiocy? Has anyone in the Scottish government actually got or met a teenager?

Also, first confirmed case of reinfection, puts even more doubt on an effective vaccine.

Face masks for kids in schools, who comes up with this idiocy? Has anyone in the Scottish government actually got or met a teenager?

Also, first confirmed case of reinfection, puts even more doubt on an effective vaccine.
I wouldn't put too much stock in the fear pron. One confirmed reinfection, out of a total of 23 million cases. I know everyone was desperate to find a case, and run around with their hair on fire accordingly, but a one in 23 million chance - I'll take those odds.

About the masks et al: Argonaut's Norris: 'Fraud' lockdown was the 'biggest policy error since WWI'

Norris believes the UK Government initially sought to follow Sweden's lead, but Prime Minister Boris Johnson "bottled it" for fear of facing tough allegations from mainstream media.

"Boris was told, if he didn't lock down, journalists will ask him on national television to accept responsibility and apologise to the families of those who have died as a result of Covid-19, because the rhetoric would have been that is was his fault for not locking down," the manager continued.

"Now, they cannot admit that they have made a mistake because it is about saving face. The entire world has been hoodwinked by the initial diagnosis of what Covid-19 was and its severity, and that is why I think it is a fraud.

"I have thought long and hard about whether to use the word 'fraud', but in our lifetime, it has been the most significant negative event for the global economy since WWI, and the biggest policy error since 1914 when the Austrian Archduke was assassinated in Sarajevo."

Despite believing lockdown was an unnecessary measure, Norris believes its impact will be felt across economies over the long term, and in some instances, permanently.

Back