Face masks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris152":1d5lwj3q said:
'Cloth face coverings, even homemade masks made of the correct material, are effective in reducing the spread of COVID-19 - for the wearer and those around them - according to a new study from Oxford’s Leverhulme Centre for Demographic Science.'
https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-07-08-ox ... 4dQDv-Vxk#

But those with a valve are open to the air when you exhale. So do nothing to stop Covid virus being blocked!

Yes, that's true Roger (I'd been stupidly wearing mine thinking I was protecting others til I realised!) - my last post was just a new bit of research that argues the value of cloth masks in general.

Chris152":13uoz509 said:
'Cloth face coverings, even homemade masks made of the correct material, are effective in reducing the spread of COVID-19 - for the wearer and those around them - according to a new study from Oxford’s Leverhulme Centre for Demographic Science.'

Using that (non RCT) study as evidence that masks are effective amongst the general population and should be compulsory is quite frankly laughable. They use a tiny number of (non RCT) trials, with a small sample size and they are all amongst healthcare workers in a healthcare setting. This is not good evidence for forming the basis of law. Fair enough if you want to advise based on a study like this, that's fine, but to compel on the threat of legal action is completely wrong.

Chris152":1s1t270n said:
It's another piece of research, Rorschach, not something to get upset about.

Yes but another one based on dubious research and used to prop up a dubious piece of legislation. I am all for sensible policy based on firm evidence and common sense, not kneejerk reactions based on dubious science and reactionary to a small vocal elite.

Rorschach":1462prds said:
Chris152":1462prds said:
It's another piece of research, Rorschach, not something to get upset about.

Yes but another one based on dubious research and used to prop up a dubious piece of legislation. I am all for sensible policy based on firm evidence and common sense, not kneejerk reactions based on dubious science and reactionary to a small vocal elite.

Its based mostly on evidence it will benefit others, which seems to be widely agreed. It might also benefit the wearer directly. It has little downside, provided you dispose of them properly. What is it some people are getting so heated about ? It's no more an infringement of your freedom than being expected to wear clothes in public, to not drive pi**ed, etc etc. You can't have complete freedom whilst living within a society and enjoying its benefits. Consideration for others is all part of the package.

So what would those who don't want to wear a mask do about Covid ? There is plenty of evidence on the John Hopkins site of what happens when you drop your guard. Demonstrations in the US are reflected, as is - I think we can hopefully just see - the change in attitude to mask wearing. Ramadan is visible in Muslim countries. The partial re-opening in the UK is reflected in a gentle rise - showing return to life as normal is not one of the available choices. What's your better plan ?

Sheffield Tony":3dwftkuk said:
Its based mostly on evidence it will benefit others, which seems to be widely agreed. It might also benefit the wearer directly. It has little downside, provided you dispose of them properly. What is it some people are getting so heated about ? It's no more an infringement of your freedom than being expected to wear clothes in public, to not drive pi**ed, etc etc. You can't have complete freedom whilst living within a society and enjoying its benefits. Consideration for others is all part of the package.

So what would those who don't want to wear a mask do about Covid ? There is plenty of evidence on the John Hopkins site of what happens when you drop your guard. Demonstrations in the US are reflected, as is - I think we can hopefully just see - the change in attitude to mask wearing. Ramadan is visible in Muslim countries. The partial re-opening in the UK is reflected in a gentle rise - showing return to life as normal is not one of the available choices. What's your better plan ?

Agreed by whom and based on what evidence? There are zero RCT on this, it has never been tested properly.
I agree it isn't a big deal wearing a mask, I wear my mask when I go shopping. That isn't the point, it's the way they are going about it, enforcing a policy that they say is guided by science when the science just doesn't exist in a meaningful way. It's the principle of it, what next after masks, mandatory vaccination? Immunity certificates? It's a slippery slope.

RogerS":rdv5xj5v said:
Chris152":rdv5xj5v said:

But those with a valve are open to the air when you exhale. So do nothing to stop Covid virus being blocked!

I might have already said it in this thread before so rather go back and look for it I'll (maybe) repeat myself. Tape over the little exhale valve on the disposable masks with them and protect others around you. If you are wearing a cartridge mask, tape some filtration material over the opening of the exhaust valve for some protection of others. Or you can make use of the orphans in your sock drawer like I do.

Pete

Attachments

• IMG_4577.jpg
    IMG_4577.jpg
    528.1 KB · Views: 102
Rorschach":1ysly5y2 said:
I am all for sensible policy based on firm evidence and common sense.

Well that would be a 180 deg about turn and a pleasant surprise, if only it were believable and true. :wink:

Rorschach":1lzem3gg said:
I agree it isn't a big deal wearing a mask, I wear my mask when I go shopping. That isn't the point, it's the way they are going about it, enforcing a policy that they say is guided by science when the science just doesn't exist in a meaningful way. It's the principle of it, what next after masks, mandatory vaccination? Immunity certificates? It's a slippery slope.

Surely if you truely feel this way, you should stop wearing a mask. Being vocal on a forum is meaningless. You talk of principles then don't act.
I like your posts, bit of ummfff usually but don't bang on about principles when you actively go against yours in public.

Halo Jones":2v9agb1g said:
Yes. I wish to be safe from a deadly disease.

I don't do personal insults on this forum but I almost made an exception for you.
I really hope you are never in charge of anything important in this country.

doctor Bob":o4vwjmge said:
Rorschach":o4vwjmge said:

Surely if you truely feel this way, you should stop wearing a mask. Being vocal on a forum is meaningless. You talk of principles then don't act.
I like your posts, bit of ummfff usually but don't bang on about principles when you actively go against yours in public.

I know I should be more firm and if I were out alone maybe I would be, but I shop with my partner and I wear it for her to prevent any aggro and partly for the same reason myself. We only shop once a week now anyway.
I draw the line at mandatory vaccination though, I might consider a voluntary one (not that I think I in any way need it) but I will not be forced.

Polio, small pox, hepatitis, measles, mumps, rubella, ebola are just a few of the deadly diseases that are controlled or have been eradicated by vaccines. The vaccination strategy only works if a very large proportion of the population take the vaccine. Measles is now starting to kill children again because of the rise in the Anti-vax movement.

You can insult me if you like but vaccination should be mandatory.

Rorschach":2bescm48 said:
I know I should be more firm and if I were out alone maybe I would be, but I shop with my partner and I wear it for her to prevent any aggro and partly for the same reason myself. We only shop once a week now anyway.
I draw the line at mandatory vaccination though, I might consider a voluntary one (not that I think I in any way need it) but I will not be forced.

But this just emphasises my point, principle should be stood by. If you vocalise these principles on a forum and then say "in public I don't like the looks I get" or "for my partner" it just seems a bit wimpy.
If you believe your principles not wearing a mask is an opportunity to correct peoples thinking, you choose to conform.

Bit like the bloke down the pub telling you what he does blah blah blar when you know full well he doesn't, all talk no action, or talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk.

doctor Bob":32dyp7sy said:
But this just emphasises my point, principle should be stood by. If you vocalise these principles on a forum and then say "in public I don't like the looks I get" or "for my partner" it just seems a bit wimpy.
If you believe your principles not wearing a mask is an opportunity to correct peoples thinking, you choose to conform.

Bit like the bloke down the pub telling you what he does blah blah blar when you know full well he doesn't, all talk no action, or talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk.

I am far from perfect I know that. I equate it to the same as politics though, I think it stinks and think lots of things should change, but I don't stand for parliament :lol:

Back