Face masks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Garno":12q0e145 said:
Rorschach":12q0e145 said:
I am wearing a mask, Dr Bob already called me a hypocrite for doing so.

And is he right?

Probably a little. I am doing it for an easy life, I don't go out an awful lot anyway. I am not encouraging others to ditch their masks, they can wear one if they like, I am just against it being mandatory. I am also against the speed limit being 70, but I don't go around speeding to make my point. :wink:

John Brown":1gwgmkvl said:
Ok. Not directly. Except that he had a DOS that he supplied to IBM that ran on Intel chips, so could have been influential.
To be honest, I heard him on Desert island discs a few years back, and apart from sounding exactly like Kermit the frog, he came across as a thoroughly nice guy. He made no mention of wanting to inject everybody with microchips as part of some nefarious world-domination plan.

Still not sure if you got my (quite good I thought) little punnette (which, if you had got it, might have suggested you knew that paged/segmented memory architecture was invented long before Intel tried to replicate it. As my computer science lecturer said, "the advent of the microprocessor set back the progress of computer science by about 20 years" - he meant: while all the engineers re-invented the wheels that the mathematicians had already designed and built!).

I agree, Bill Gates comes across as a well meaning sort of person. I'm sure there are others who will say he can afford the best PR but heyho.

Garno":2iophkxs said:
Rorschach":2iophkxs said:
You are likely upset with me, that's fine. I respect what you say here and I have always defended the rights of individuals to do as they see fit and have always encouraged those most at risk to protect themselves.

All I ask is that those who see risk differently be allowed to live their lives without interference. It matters not one jot to me if you stay at home for 6 months or 6 years if you feel that is necessary to protect yourself. You are also welcome to have any vaccine you like and avoid contact with those you see as potentially dangerous to yourself. Remember though, C19 is not the only thing out that there could kill you if you are as vulnerable as you say, do you take these same precautions every year with flu and other winter respiratory illnesses? You probably should, they kill tens of thousands every year.

I don't see it as selfish to ask be allowed to live my life and ask for that same freedom for others who feel the same. I know the risk, my family knows the risk, if it kills me, then I only have myself to blame exactly the same as when I get into my car and go for a drive (statistically probably as risky as C19 for someone in my demographic).

This is the exact reaction I was expecting, What you are saying is that you will do what you deem right regardless of what your actions do to others, the longer you do this the longer those at risk are unable to carry on with a normal life. It bothers you not one jot if those who are vulnerable remain in lockdown for 6 months or 6 years and that they cannot lead ordinary lives, this is providing that you and others can do as they wish.

I think you say these things in the forum for effect, you make out you don't care yet you have signed up to test the vaccines out :? that in my mind makes you an out and out hypocrite. You say one thing and do another, If (touch wood it never happens) your wife or one of your children contacted Covid and had it bad enough that they were hospitalised and their situation became critical I think you would be happy to wear a mask when visiting them or would you argue with the nurses that you should not? we both know the answer to that and so that shows us all that the rules shall be followed when it best suits your situation, the fact that you never really come out and admit to that as it does not suit your argument makes you nothing more than a troll that posts for a reaction as opposed to posting your true views.

If I had to take a yearly vaccine for Covid as I do with the flu then I would do so as that would no doubt be the advice given to me from someone a lot more qualified than yourself to give it.

I just so wish the quote function worked in a different way so that the hypocritical, illogical, self-satisfied, selfishness of some trolls could remain properly hidden. This particular one would have been perfectly happy for my wife to die as a price well worth paying so that he could strut about without letting a trivial little global pandemic interfere with his lifestyle.

RogerS":2ufe1lvl said:
Are you in the 20-30 year old cohort who, seemingly, don't give a s**t ? Not just here but in other countries.

I guess I'd fit in that cohort, although in the last 5 months aside from being at home I've only been to work and the chiropractor because:

A: I really do not want to catch it
B: If I do somehow catch it, I don't want anyone to catch it on my account.
C: My leg needed fixing, mask worn at all times even when it wasn't necessary.

Now, everyone I talk to in passing at a distance (When you've got a big roll-up door on the side of the road people tend to stop and chat, I've been playing the radio full-blast to passively deter people from coming in) keeps droning on about how ignorant and rude the 60+ brigade have been locally, particularly the tourists. Really petty things mostly like refusing to fill out T&T forms, not observing any form of social distancing and getting all uppity about their rights and such, and these are the people most at risk.

I guess it goes to show there's still selfish kunts at every age bracket.

Woody2Shoes":1byqnw3d said:
John Brown":1byqnw3d said:
Ok. Not directly. Except that he had a DOS that he supplied to IBM that ran on Intel chips, so could have been influential.
To be honest, I heard him on Desert island discs a few years back, and apart from sounding exactly like Kermit the frog, he came across as a thoroughly nice guy. He made no mention of wanting to inject everybody with microchips as part of some nefarious world-domination plan.

Still not sure if you got my (quite good I thought) little punnette (which, if you had got it, might have suggested you knew that paged/segmented memory architecture was invented long before Intel tried to replicate it. As my computer science lecturer said, "the advent of the microprocessor set back the progress of computer science by about 20 years" - he meant: while all the engineers re-invented the wheels that the mathematicians had already designed and built!).

I agree, Bill Gates comes across as a well meaning sort of person. I'm sure there are others who will say he can afford the best PR but heyho.
Yes, I did appreciate your pun, although I didn't actually see it the first time I read your post. You may be right about the invention of the microprocessor, I wouldn't know, as I didn't come from a mainframe background, I was fixing video games built of 74 series logic chips, when 8080s and 6502s suddenly appeared on the PCBs.

Rorschach":18czh53u said:
As I said, if you want to have a vaccine as for flu, that's fine, you take care of yourself. Anyone I come into contact with outside has decided to take the risk of going out as have I, I am not going house to house infecting people on purpose, you will note I also said I do wear a mask in shops as the law dictates, despite my objection to it.

I never said I was testing vaccines, don't know where you got that idea, certainly not something I would get involved in. I have been asked to take part in an infection/antibody study. Still waiting to hear when that begins though.

I am not trolling, these are my real views, my family know it and share some of them but not others.
Hypocrite is far too mild a word for Karen IMHO.
As far as the testing study is concerned and without reading back I'm pretty certain he said " It's a nice little earner". Says a lot about the bloke who's only interested in himself and money.

Woody2Shoes":77mvbv29 said:
I've noticed before that you seem to have an inexplicable blindspot for the actions of Putin's Russia - maybe you've consumed some of their Kool-Aid (electronic or otherwise)?

I think your animosity towards Bill Gates is misplaced - far more noteworthy is Trump's removal of the US from the WHO.

Russiagate is proven to have been made up nonsense. Evil Russia is a theme promoted ever since Putin threw out the billionaire thieves who were selling the country piecemeal, and the Ukrainian chaos was caused directly by the West in order to put pressure on Russia and give nato a reason for existence. The endless propaganda about Russia is tiresome. Is Russia a free democracy? Probably no less than most western nations. We lock up people without Habius corpus, we prosecute whistle blowers rather than the corruption they expose, etc, etc, etc. I'm sure that you can find any number of instances of Russian corruption, but one thing they haven't done is killed over 20 million people since WWII. That milestone is entirely to be owned by the free, Democratic west. https://www.globalresearch.ca/us-has-ki ... ii/5492051

Bill Gates has too much money, and therefore too much power. He is answerable to no one, but any politician coming into his orbit will be powerless to deny him, because of the power his money brings to reelection chances. Bill seems a nice enough guy, and I don't buy into the idea that he wants to cull the human race, but who made him top medical advisor to the world? He bought that position. It's not as if he was any good at stopping viruses when he was at Microsoft...

Trainee neophyte":2ulpn7cj said:
........Bill Gates has too much money, and therefore too much power.....

But he is doing his level best to do good with it. Malaria research has jumped ahead because of his input, for instance. Why is it that someone trying to do the right thing by the impoverished and downtrodden of this planet is in your crosshairs?

MikeG.":r7a3p5qs said:
Lons":r7a3p5qs said:
........Hypocrite is far too mild a word for Karen IMHO......

What's this "Karen" thing all about?
It's something to do with 'Essex (?) girl's' perspective on the world Mike - my kids tried to explain it to me a while back but I'm not sure I got it.

Trainee neophyte":2zhvueji said:
Woody2Shoes":2zhvueji said:
I've noticed before that you seem to have an inexplicable blindspot for the actions of Putin's Russia - maybe you've consumed some of their Kool-Aid (electronic or otherwise)?

I think your animosity towards Bill Gates is misplaced - far more noteworthy is Trump's removal of the US from the WHO.

Russiagate is proven to have been made up nonsense. Evil Russia is a theme promoted ever since Putin threw out the billionaire thieves who were selling the country piecemeal, and the Ukrainian chaos was caused directly by the West in order to put pressure on Russia and give nato a reason for existence. The endless propaganda about Russia is tiresome. Is Russia a free democracy? Probably no less than most western nations. We lock up people without Habius corpus, we prosecute whistle blowers rather than the corruption they expose, etc, etc, etc. I'm sure that you can find any number of instances of Russian corruption, but one thing they haven't done is killed over 20 million people since WWII. That milestone is entirely to be owned by the free, Democratic west. https://www.globalresearch.ca/us-has-ki ... ii/5492051

Bill Gates has too much money, and therefore too much power. He is answerable to no one, but any politician coming into his orbit will be powerless to deny him, because of the power his money brings to reelection chances. Bill seems a nice enough guy, and I don't buy into the idea that he wants to cull the human race, but who made him top medical advisor to the world? He bought that position. It's not as if he was any good at stopping viruses when he was at Microsoft...

I rest my case m'lud.....

Rorschach":38mr5i46 said:
selectortone":38mr5i46 said:
Rorschach":38mr5i46 said:
Speaking of packed beaches, I notice the MSM are not making such a big fuss this time round as they did with Bournemouth. In fact no-one seems to be talking about Bournemouth anymore :roll:

Six weeks ago most of the infrastructure we have for dealing with influxes of hundreds of thousands of day trippers was still being brought out of mothballs. Toilets, refuse collection, beachside catering, traffic management, etc., etc. Facilities are mostly back in place now. Bournemouth has been a seaside holiday destination for many years after all, so It's not like we aren't able to cope with them in more normal times.

That wasn't my point. The Bournemouth issue/ beach issue in general wasn't about the infrastructure it was about the cries of "second wave" "new infections" "they are all going to die". Of course none of that came to pass, just as it didn't with every other mass gathering in the last few months where the MSM went wild over infections going up, and then 2 weeks later when nothing happened they were oddly quiet on the matter.

Well, that's rather hard to quantify isn't it? Given there are no graphs or stats for people who converge on southern beaches and sit for several hours in a seething ant-heap of humanity, and then disperse back to their homes all over the south of England.

We get day trippers from as far away as Nottingham and Leicester. Who's to say that those hotspots in the Midlands didn't kick off after someone contracted the virus on a day trip to the beach? Does that sound far-fetched? Any more than some of the conjecture you come out with? Could there possibly be a link to the current rise in infections in the USA and all those mass gatherings to celebrate the 4th of July?

edit to add: I've just now revisited this thread after 24hrs - after responding, I see that others have made similar points.

Woody2Shoes":1u23ds0f said:

I've long ago come to the conclusion that our friend who purports to be a greek farmer is actually sat in one of those fake news factories in Russia. It's the only logical explanation for all the disinformation he relentlessly churns out. Yeah, I know... paranoid or what. But they have a very sophisticated operation going on over there. It's not just facebook and twitter.

selectortone":3se0i5qu said:
Woody2Shoes":3se0i5qu said:

I've long ago come to the conclusion that our friend who purports to be a greek farmer is actually sat in one of those fake news factories in Russia. It's the only logical explanation for all the disinformation he churns out. Yeah, I know... paranoid or what. But they have a very sophisticated operation going on over there. It's not just facebook and twitter.
He got very uppity with me when I suggested it some months ago. The most charitable explanation I can come up with is that he's been drinking the KoolAid rather than manufacturing it.

Woody2Shoes":3tjb4lfc said:
selectortone":3tjb4lfc said:
Woody2Shoes":3tjb4lfc said:

I've long ago come to the conclusion that our friend who purports to be a greek farmer is actually sat in one of those fake news factories in Russia. It's the only logical explanation for all the disinformation he churns out. Yeah, I know... paranoid or what. But they have a very sophisticated operation going on over there. It's not just facebook and twitter.
He got very uppity with me when I suggested it some months ago. The most charitable explanation I can come up with is that he's been drinking the KoolAid rather than manufacturing it.

He has a pretty good internet connection for somebody sat in depths of the Greek countryside.

selectortone":rcoy0cyb said:
Woody2Shoes":rcoy0cyb said:

I've long ago come to the conclusion that our friend who purports to be a greek farmer is actually sat in one of those fake news factories in Russia. It's the only logical explanation for all the disinformation he relentlessly churns out. Yeah, I know... paranoid or what. But they have a very sophisticated operation going on over there. It's not just facebook and twitter.

As far as I know, the only people who have deployed chemical weapons within 50 miles of where I live, and who currently have multiple nuclear warheads targeted on sites within a similar radius, are answerable to Putin.

Rorschach":2qumbfnp said:
I am not quite sure who is acting like a Karen? Nobody here, even those I disagree with could be described that way.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Karen
A bit odd that you picked up on that rather than the direct accusation that you're interested only in yourself and money.
I and others might well mean something very different by the word Karen and I'm perfectly happy to call you something else but you're not worth getting banned for. :wink:

You won't read this of course as you decided to ignore me many pages ago. :)

Trainee neophyte":1v3q9dgm said:
Woody2Shoes":1v3q9dgm said:

ROTFLAMO

rotflmao.gif

It turns out that, unlike almost everyone else who likes to contribute to this thread, I am not living in a state of perpetual fear and panic induced by the media and government combined terror propaganda services. Some of things I am not scared of:

Russian tank divisions thundering through the Fulder Gap to over-run NATO countries.
Russians generally (except when driving).
Covid19
Catastrophic anthropomorphic climate change
Brexit
China

The list goes on, but hopefully you get the point. The real problem is that, because I don't subscribe to the fear message, I am an outcast, an unbeliever, a blasphemer, and possibly a witch to boot. (If you want to weigh me and see if I am really a witch, you will need a duck that weighs more than 90kg. Just trying to be helpful.)

On that note, here is an article that will make you all seethe: it accuses the mask wearing new - normalists of being somewhat detached from reality, to put it mildly. Are you man enough to read it, even if you disagree?

They’re here! No, not the pod people from Invasion of the Body Snatchers. We’re not being colonized by giant alien fruit. I’m afraid it is a little more serious than that. People’s minds are being taken over by a much more destructive and less otherworldly force … a force that transforms them overnight into aggressively paranoid, order-following, propaganda-parroting totalitarians.

You know the people I’m talking about. Some of them are probably your friends and family, people you have known for years, and who had always seemed completely rational, but who are now convinced that we need to radically alter the fabric of human society to protect ourselves from a virus that causes mild to moderate flu-like symptoms (or absolutely no symptoms at all) in over 95% of those infected, and that over 99.6% survive, which, it goes without saying, is totally insane.[\quote]

You can find the whole thing here: Invasion of the New Normals

Embrace the other point of view. Or not - your choice.

Back