face mask no response

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumberman

Established Member
Reaction score
Judging from the lack of response to my request to anyone being able to reccommend a reputable face mask, I can only
conclude that scrollers don't wear them and consider it not essential. Many harwoods cause dust particals that are harmfull
and are indeed cancerous also manufactured materials such as M.D.F. are band in some states of America.
I for one will not compromise on health and safety, that is my I wanted to know the best level of safety I need.
Maybe I am on the wrong section, maybe I will try the general woodworking section on tools e.c.t.
Harry.

it's up to you to work out what you need really.
It all depends on the sort of work you do. For many purposes just having good ventilation may be enough. If not then dust extraction is the next priority.
Things have to be pretty dusty to need masks, not least because they are a PITA to work with. Many types are impossible to wear with glasses.

I use an ancient Trend Airshield which completely covers my head. It is bulky and getting filters is not as easy as it once was but it works. I have a Microclene shed filter which removes dust from the air and a Record shop vacuum. It is very efficient but the teenage neighbours pop round occasionally complaining that they can't hear their 'Pop' music. Dust is not a problem but tinnitus could be!

Regards

redalpha3":38cd4bfl said:
I use an ancient Trend Airshield which completely covers my head. It is bulky and getting filters is not as easy as it once was but it works. I have a Microclene shed filter which removes dust from the air and a Record shop vacuum. It is very efficient but the teenage neighbours pop round occasionally complaining that they can't hear their 'Pop' racket. Dust is not problem but tinnitus could be!

Regards

I've fixed your previous post for you Pete! :lol:

I just use an ordinary 3M 4277 "fly" mask. Readily available online or from Screwfix for about £35. Blocks both particles/dust and organic and inorganic vapours so should be safe for occasoinal aerosol use. Seem to last for about a year before they start to clog. I can even use them without issue now that I have to wear glasses, though this may be more difficult if you werar glasses that are quite large. Quite comfortable in the grand sceme of things too.

Thank You every body for your advice after much deliberation I have opted for the 3m 7500 series and the p3 particle filters also the
A2 class 1 gas and vapor filters. I have tried the Trend air mask but found it to cumbersome and heavy when wearing for any significant
amount of time, I also connect all my machines to a dust extractor, hope I have covered for all eventualities.

Many thanks

Harry.

Lumberman":17b8mter said:
I have tried the Trend air mask but found it to cumbersome and heavy when wearing for any significant
amount of time

Harry.

I agree with this..loud too; but it is useful if you wear glasses. I use it if I feel I have to saw MDF(under duress) and for hardwoods.

Regards

HAVE YOU LOOKED AT THE TREND AIRACE PPE DUST ?MASK SAFETY RESPIRATOR?I USE IT FOR MY WOOD TURNING,SANDING AND BAND SAWING.I ALSO USE THE TREND AIRSHILD WHEN SPOLTED TIMBER AND M D F.

REGARDS. PETER

TBH If I had to wear a face-mask when scrolling I think I would give up. in fairness most of my scroll work is with ply or soft wood rather than hard-woods but what I like about scroll sawing is that I can sit down and relax wearing a mask would spoil it for me. :)

Agree with Scrimper--- never worn one in 60 plus years of scrolling However using router etc a must

John

Back