F clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AjB

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations for mid priced f clamps? Or know of any special offers.

Thanks for your reply. I've seen these but wasn't sure about the quality.

I switched from using F clamps to these
A bit more expensive but massively more convenient when you only have one hand free.

MattRoberts":1kgmf9xk said:
I bought most of mine from ebay - there's loads on there for good prices, such as https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3054321621

I bought a set of these. In my opinion they're very poor. Aside from the very small 50mm throat, the handles are joined to the thread only at the very tip (the handle is then hollow), and after a few months usage, broke at that joint. And I don't I was applying too much pressure, a little more than finger pressure.

Edit : and the cast iron joint also broke on one of them.

Yojevol":11bk4fwh said:
I've got a number of these from Tilgear:-
https://www.tilgear.info/large-f-clamps
They are excellent, a bit pricey but you get what you pay for.
Brian

Yes I have a few of those and thoroughly recommended. Very solid construction and almost no chance of them ever slipping. Only negative is they are heavy for their size but that's why they are pretty bomb proof.

Do you guys rate Irwin clamps?

I bought a couple of the 1 handed, squeeze ones, very happy with them but I'd like a couple of proper F clamps, wandered how Irwin compared to Bessey etc?

I love the small irwin quick clamps, I use them all the time. Not sure if they would be good for a glue up, I *think* they tend to lossen if left for long periods of time.

AjB":1nttcr0y said:
Thanks for your reply. I've seen these but wasn't sure about the quality.
They're fine. The plastic end caps need glueing on, and the bars bend a bit under lots of pressure, but for general cleaning they're great.

I wouldn't do a panel glue up with them though...

transatlantic":pe147d94 said:
MattRoberts":pe147d94 said:
I bought most of mine from ebay - there's loads on there for good prices, such as https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3054321621

I bought a set of these. In my opinion they're very poor. Aside from the very small 50mm throat, the handles are joined to the thread only at the very tip (the handle is then hollow), and after a few months usage, broke at that joint. And I don't I was applying too much pressure, a little more than finger pressure.

Edit : and the cast iron joint also broke on one of them.
Nightmare. I've never had one break on me. Maybe I've been lucky?

I do have some silverline ones too, which do seem to be better quality (can't believe I'm saying that about silverline...)

Yes, I would have thought that clamps would be one of the easiest things to get right and sell cheaply. Naive me :)

transatlantic":u4mv62dp said:
I love the small irwin quick clamps, I use them all the time. Not sure if they would be good for a glue up, I *think* they tend to lossen if left for long periods of time.

I also use them a lot, including glue-ups. I don't find that they loosen after say 24 hours, certainly not by the time most glues have grabbed. The only issue in glueing is that unless you have them dead square, the surfaces can slide a little over each other as you apply pressure. But this can happen with any clamp, and the one-handed design makes them much easier to adjust.

Latest posts

Back