EZ Smart Guide

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manny

Established Member
Reaction score
I saw this mentioned in the festool posts, has anyone used this system? As an alternative to the festool saw it looks interesting as you can use your existing saw and router.

John

John,

I am also interested to hear if anybody has any experience of the EZ Smart Guide system. Looking at this review it seems to be a very simular to the festool system, but cheaper! :D

Adam

I've read the reviews as well, they are very interesting. I would have two concerns, one, the use of 2 50" guides for ripping boards. I wouldn't trust any joining system to give me a totally straight edge. Presumaby the makers do a longer guide?
The other concern is more important, and that is the quality of the cut. This is the beauty of the Festool. When the quality of cut on my first one deteriorated it was still better than what I would expect from an ordinary circular saw, of which I have owned a few- Black and Decker, Skil, Makita etc.
It seems to me that although the EZ Guide system is more sophisticated and more elaborate (and cheaper) than the Festool system, if one bought it, one would still be missing out on an important part of the Festool 'experience'

John Elliott

It looks as if it leaves at least part of the blade unguarded, at least when the anti-splinter thing is fitted. That, to me, makes the dado debate look sterile by comparison.

.... the use of 2 50" guides for ripping boards. I wouldn't trust any joining system to give me a totally straight edge.

John

How about joining two 1400mm festool guide rails together to cut a straight 2400mm lenght does that work or not?

What appeals to me about this system is being able to use a router with it, presumably with the festool rail you can only use a festool router.

John

Manny":2suyck4h said:
.... the use of 2 50" guides for ripping boards. I wouldn't trust any joining system to give me a totally straight edge.

John

How about joining two 1400mm festool guide rails together to cut a straight 2400mm lenght does that work or not?

What appeals to me about this system is being able to use a router with it, presumably with the festool rail you can only use a festool router.

John

I have a 2.7 rail for ripping sheets. I expect both then Festool and the EZ joining systems are very good, but prefer not to take the chance

John Elliott

Hi guys.
Without going into EZ VS F-D-and G, (we have enough of that in US)
and with the forum permission, I can explain the design philosophy of the EZ Smart. And just for a good pre-start, the EZ works with ALL tools.

So, first I need to get the go ahead and second we need to keep in mind the UNIVERSAL design philosophy of the EZ Smart.
Regards.
EZ Dino

johnelliott":1sqihkfd said:
I've read the reviews as well, they are very interesting. I would have two concerns, one, the use of 2 50" guides for ripping boards. I wouldn't trust any joining system to give me a totally straight edge. Presumaby the makers do a longer guide?
The other concern is more important, and that is the quality of the cut. This is the beauty of the Festool. When the quality of cut on my first one deteriorated it was still better than what I would expect from an ordinary circular saw, of which I have owned a few- Black and Decker, Skil, Makita etc.
It seems to me that although the EZ Guide system is more sophisticated and more elaborate (and cheaper) than the Festool system, if one bought it, one would still be missing out on an important part of the Festool 'experience'

John Elliott
Hi John.
There is not need for a longer guide rail. With 3 dovetail self aligning connectors you can extend the guide to any length and still be straight and portable. The play on the EZ is TRUE ZERO.
The quality of cut. The antichip protection on the EZ is so good that people using 24 teeth blades to cut melamine. And you have antichip protection on both sides of your blade. And even when your saw is off the guide rail.
And about the "experience". I know all about it.
Imagine now that you can use your saw and be able to do a compound cut (taper/bevel) on an 16+ feet toothpick.
Imagine that you have a CNC like "Manual CNC" router system.
And Imagine that you don't need a tape measure to cut panels or even narrow strips. and with repeatability on both sides of the cut.
The waste and the keeper side. (available soon)
See you guys later.
EZ Dino YCF

I for one would like to Dino to expand on the concept of the EZ Guide system as it sounds as though it provides a good/cheaper alternative to the Festool.

All the reviews I've read about the EZ system have been good.

I do not have the ez guide system, but I do have the festool.
Dino's reputation in the USA is first rate though. His guide system
first rate also. I went with festool because of the duct collection.
I would like to comment on joining rails. I join two festool 1400
rails and the cut is perfect. I am positve that Dinos system will
give the same results.
Per

Whilst I was butchering wood in the States,I went and got the
EZ rail system.I needed to chop up a load of sheets and used a MAkita 71/4" circ saw.
I was VERY IMPRESSED, loved the whole idea, as a cornfirmed user of the RAIL system - in Amsterdam I have been using the METABO Mosquito plunge saw and rails now for oh ! too many years :oops:
so I needed a cheaper version whilst in Florida :D - it was delivered quick and was easy to set up.
ok Dino was reconmending the new MAGNUM circ saw by P C to go with it, but I did not have enough dollars then :oops: so, you takes your money and makes your choice-
EZ rail is good for a NON MAKE relient rail system , especially if you get the full package.

Woodfella":rs3y0q8l said:
I do not have the ez guide system, but I do have the festool.
Dino's reputation in the USA is first rate though. His guide system
first rate also. I went with festool because of the duct collection.
I would like to comment on joining rails. I join two festool 1400
rails and the cut is perfect. I am positve that Dinos system will
give the same results.
Per
Hi Per.
Take a look at the connection and the floating guide rails.
No need for 100" (one piece) rails. (no room in the Fiat) :(
http://www.eurekazone.com/products/smartconnector.html

The smart clamps become the legs for the guide.
No need for table or saw horses (no room in the Fiat) :(
http://www.eurekazone.org/products/smar ... ystem.html

And you can trim one side of the board and finish the cut from the other side of the guide rail. (no room to jungle the board or the guide in my garage. I need my garage for my Fiat.) 8)

Same results? Nop. The Ez was designed with my Fiat in mind.
At the very end of the Ez you can see a $69.00 Ryobi with a $15.00 Diablo blade, waiting for the next challenge.

I love my spider and I have to make sure the Ez never loses the challenge. :twisted: http://www.eurekazone.com/challenge.html

So, After a year and 10s of wishfull Fiat lovers (Ez Smart challengers) the spider is still with me. :D
And now that I have the same saw as yours on the EZ..forget about it.
I'm stock with the Fiat for good. :shock:
stop over some time.
Edison NJ.
See you at the creek.
By guys.

I was in Atlanta Georgia, for the big wood working show last year, and had the opportunity to see the EZ Smart System and was suitably impressed. Subsequently I have spent time and my own money to import the product for resale here. That is in the process of happening and we should be able to supply product within the next couple of weeks.

Why did I select this over the other products, because at the show there were at least three other guide rail systems on offer besides the Eurekazone, and it is but one of the functions of the EZ Smart system, plus Festool were there?

First of all if you met Dino, the Eurekazone dynamo, you would immediately realise that here is a man who cares passionately about his product and is on a crusade to make working with wood safer, easier, more accurate and even more affordable.

Now I believe that the Triton Work Centre 2000 changed the way people worked around the world, well at least outside America. I believe that EZ Smart System may well have a similar, no I will go one better, I believe it will have an even bigger effect on the way we work plus it is more affordable, even more portable and very versatile.

I would not compare it with Festool; and yes I am one of the first to acknowledge they make a very good guide rail system, excellent power tools and like a number of systems in the market they are primarily intended to cut sheet material, which is just one of the capabilities of the Eurekazone EZ Smart System.

The objective with the EZ Smart System is that you should not need any other “sawing equipment” to complete the job, it uses any brand of 7¼” saw and comes complete with clamps, plus you can add a router, a portable large area sheet cutting table, a Sliding Fence/Square and very soon it will even have an integral measuring system.

Finally I apologise for the following commercial bit, but some one is bound to ask, the price for EZ Smart System will be £165.00 delivered as against £190.00 direct from Dino in USA and this assumes that Customs & Excise charge VAT and Import Duty.

Perhaps someone could pause from their salesmanship to comment on whether or not the system leaves part of the saw blade unguarded, as it looks from the pictures?

Jake, I'm not sure, but it doesn't look any less guarded than a circular saw usually is in the cut? Which particular pictures where you thinking of? And I'm sure that's the lot vis-a-vis the sales talk, right chaps...? :whistle:

Cheers, Alf

Think I'll stick to clamping my £15 Axminster guide to the ply and running the circular saw against it :wink:

Not in the cut, Alf. Out of the cut. The baseplate appears to stop the blade guard from closing completely. The instructions say not to move the saw until it has stopped spinning, which I suspect is because of this.

Back