Eye/mouth protection?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calv

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend the best option for me to use when doing a lot of cutting and sanding? After many bouts of chest infection due to sawdust and eye soreness due to the same, i want to get something better than the paper type masks. Last night i got a basic pair of protective goggles which seems fine, i also got a slightly better mask with a fliter on. Yet when i use them both together, the air i'm breathing out escapes and i get all steamed up, not handy when using a jigsaw!

Any suggestions please?

Thanks,

Calv.

Hi Kelv,

You could try one of the full face masks with forced filtered air. I think Trend do them. One of the turners may push you to other suppliers.
Hope this helps

I use the Trend Airshield mask and I reccomend it. It is easy to wear and the battery lasts well.

Better try and avoid muddling ourselves here: The AirAce is the non-powered one. The AirShield is the powered respirator. And yes, I did have to look that up to check... :oops: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Another recommendation for the Trend Air Ace from me. It keeps all the dust out and doesn't mist up my spectacles.

It comes with a visor which can be pushed into the top of the mask to provide some eye protection, but I've never used mine. I'd rather trust to proper safety goggles if I was doing that sort of work.

Gill

Any goggle recommendations to add to this? I have a cheapie plastic pair that seem designed to attract dust. 5 mins use and I can't see out of them!

Cheers

Alan

I've had a Turbovisor for many years and wouldn't be without it. Effective, quiet, no trailing wires.
I'm on my second. I wear contacts (at least I do when I haven't scratched my eye, like yesterday - 5th time in as many months :( ), and I find it invaluable. Actually on my second one now.
Cheers
Steve

Mcluma":3ag5vj38 said:
I have the combined earmuflers with visor
I've always liked that combination too. Don't use it so much now I have my prescription <tap tap> safety specs, but it does solve the misting goggles problem very nicely.

Jack, tsk, tsk. What was it on the SWMBO list you haven't done yet? :lol:

Cheers, Alf

I add support to the AirAce - it also actually makes you talk like Darth Vader. Don't know if thats a good or a bad thing.

I prefer glasses to goggles because of the steaming up.

Cheers

Tim

Tim, if you've got the Air Ace set up properly, you shouldn't get any steaming up. It might be worth adjusting the seal again.

Gill

Gill":3c3peajc said:
Tim, if you've got the Air Ace set up properly, you shouldn't get any steaming up. It might be worth adjusting the seal again

No you are quite right - it doesn't steam up goggles, but I do find that goggles do in general with me. I prefer to wear glasses simply because I can leave them on all the time in the workshop whereas with goggles I always want to take them off as soon as I've finished 'using' them.

I scratched a lens on my Oakley sunglasses some years ago and found that Oakley does clear replacement lenses for a tenner. SInce they are bulletproof (according to their pr) I think that should be okay.

Cheers

Tim

tim":32kd1pxz said:
I scratched a lens on my Oakley sunglasses some years ago and found that Oakley does clear replacement lenses for a tenner. SInce they are bulletproof (according to their pr) I think that should be okay.

The the chap who ran the Surf Shop at Southend on Sea used to have a pair of Oakleys that hat stopped half a dozen lead shots, quite impressive.

They where not on his face at the time, before someone asks.

The Trend Airshield gets my vote. You can wear specs with it. It does not have any trailing wires, and on a hot summers day the blast of cool air across your is magic.

Regards

Woody

So am I correct in saying that the Trend Airshield stops you getting dust in your eyes (in addition to good clean air etc) but that there is a little debate as to whether the Airshield is as strong as safety goggles?

Has anyone tried the JSP PowerCap IP Respirator ?

Back