Extream Loggers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonB

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone else watch it last night on Discovery.

The thread about oak pricing on e-bay prompted me to post this, for those that did not see it the programme was about a small firm of loggers in Tenasee who used mules to extract the butts.

They were selectively felling trees destined for conversion to veneer or furniture grade timber, typical prices they were being paid buy the mill were

Walnut $1.00 per bd/ft thats $12 cu ft
White oak $0.65 bd/ft
Red oak $0.50 db/ft

Also worth watching to see the lorry that loads the logs by literally swinging them over the operators head :roll: Ussually repeated during the week. Its episode 2 BTW. Heli logging next weeek :D

http://www.discoverychannel.co.uk/web/s ... e-loggers/

Jason

Jason,

I will look out for that again, I thought the definition of a board foot is --one board foot is a piece of lumber that is 1 foot wide, 1 foot long and 1 inch thick.

The prices are a bit steeper here......$12 cu/ft in the US, so that would be about £10cu/ft and £50 cu/ft here for AB Walnut.

your right Paul, I was thinking of the oak, Also added links to when its on again

Jason

Hi Jason,

Yeh I like this series too, being an ex-machine man and artic driver myself, I really enjoyed the first one where they were using those lovely 'boys toys' to get the logs out of the swamps. The two AX MEN series were also really worth watching too.
It was a bit hairy (Like you say) when they loaded them onto that truck.
Plenty of off-cuts for carving though, no doubt for free as well.

Was sorry to hear that Ian & Dragon saws has packed up, have also just found out that Pintail at Nantwich Cheshire is closing down in April.
The banks will have a lot to answer for before this is over.
Trev

Latest posts

Back