Extractors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
I got a very large extractor from a school that had to upgrade a few years back that was far to big for my workshop , startrite cyclair75 .
Today i picked up a once used E/B for £50 that i can move round the workshop to what ever tool i am using . Maybe this will stop all the dust spots in my pics :lol: .
Now im thinking i could build a shed for the S/R extractor and run ducting round the workshop . I spose what im asking is if a metal extraction system is noisy and does it ampify the sound of the tools you are using ?
If it is noisy does anyone want to buy the said extractor :lol:
Also got the upgrade kit for my 8-[ Legacy 8-[ today so i can now do 370mm wide Linier mouldings \:D/

Biggest noise from metal ductwork is the clanking when you're extracting chips. I wouldn't say it amplifies sounds, though.

Scrit

Scrit does the 10 second motor stopping reg include extractor fans ? Im assuming this is why the school got rid of it .

JFC

I believe that the 10 sec rule only applies to machinery where there is potential risk of injury. As a DX fean is enclosed it can't have been that. Possibly the inability of the filter medium to handle MDF? Atex (explosionb control regs) came in last year on industrial dust extraction, but as the HSE still hasn't clarified what it actually means I doubt that could be the reason.

Scrit

It does have a bag rather than a filter , maybe thats why . Or they needed more power having fitted new ducting .

Sad little so and so I am, I am sitting here with a Startrite Cyclair Extractor Units brochure, circa 1981. The Cyclair 75 has a 1 hp motor and is rated at 1045 cfm (29.5 m3/min). So it should have enough power for a small shop - maybe they just bougfht a bigger unit. BTW if you'd like I can scan the pages and send them to you

Regards

Scrit

Latest posts

Back