Extractor for a triton tpt 125 thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevet93

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a triton tpt 125 thicknesser which I’m really pleased with ,I only ever do small craftwork can anyone recommend an extractor
As I’ve seen on line you can attach a triton dca 300 which you attach to a domestic hoover any advice would be appreciated.

I've got the Triton thicknesser, I connected it by 63mm hose to an extractor with a 100mm port via a reducer. The hose on the dca300 bucket is too small. You will have to make up something to go between the Triton dust chute and the 63mm hose as the chute is a bit less than 63mm.

The Triton dust port is 48.5mm internal & 53.5mm external which isn't really large enough to manage shavings coming off a wide board.
The DCA 300 has even smaller hoses, so only meant for dust. The filter material also clogs quite readily with a resulting loss in performance.
If you are only putting small or narrow pieces through the thicknesser then any vacuum cleaner should work with the correct hose adaptors. If you use a bagged cleaner then the bags are likely to fill quickly. If bagless, the filters are likely to clog.
If you add a cyclone & a catchment drum you should be able to use any domestic vacuum cleaner or shop vac.

The Triton dust port is 48.5mm internal & 53.5mm external which isn't really large enough to manage shavings coming off a wide board.
The DCA 300 has even smaller hoses, so only meant for dust. The filter material also clogs quite readily with a resulting loss in performance.
If you are only putting small or narrow pieces through the thicknesser then any vacuum cleaner should work with the correct hose adaptors. If you use a bagged cleaner then the bags are likely to fill quickly. If bagless, the filters are likely to clog.
If you add a cyclone & a catchment drum you should be able to use any domestic vacuum cleaner or shop vac.

That’s brilliant information Robby,I’ve got a Miele vacuum cleaner that works great on my bandsaw and I now will take your advice and buy the cyclone and catchment drum many thanks.

That’s brilliant information Robby,I’ve got a Miele vacuum cleaner that works great on my bandsaw and I now will take your advice and buy the cyclone and catchment drum many thanks.
I would be hesitant to use a Miele vacuum even with a cyclone, I would doubt it will draw enough. You are producing chips with the planer as opposed to sawdust from the bandsaw and you might need something with a bit more oomph. I got a Lumberjack 1100 50 L extractor new for £80 from Amazon. Not sure if its still available at that price, it is usually around the £110 elsewhere. It looks essentially to be the same machine as Rutlands albeit a slightly different design. Its noisy but works well with my Kity P/T. I do need to upgrade to a LPHV one now though for my new table saw...

I would be hesitant to use a Miele vacuum even with a cyclone, I would doubt it will draw enough. You are producing chips with the planer as opposed to sawdust from the bandsaw and you might need something with a bit more oomph. I got a Lumberjack 1100 50 L extractor new for £80 from Amazon. Not sure if its still available at that price, it is usually around the £110 elsewhere. It looks essentially to be the same machine as Rutlands albeit a slightly different design. Its noisy but works well with my Kity P/T. I do need to upgrade to a LPHV one now though for my new table saw...
That’s great thanks ,funnily enough I’ve been looking at the lumberjack bde 1100 and the 1200

That’s great thanks ,funnily enough I’ve been looking at the lumberjack bde 1100 and the 1200
Can you please let us know how you get on? I was going to go for the cyclone option and use one of my two vacuums a few weeks back but never got round to doing it

Lack of room means I use my thicknesser outside, then sweep up when I've finished.
I do this too.
I have the Triton thicknesser also. Initially tried connecting to the DCA300, using the big ol' Vax. Unfortunately this doesn't pull enough as the Thicknesser port blocks up in no time.
I now have the Lumberjack 1200 (sorry, no idea if it's any more powerful than the 1100) . Using the 4" supplied hose connected to a reducer directly to the thicknesser, this doesn't block up and removes a fair amount of shavings, However I'm still left with a load of stuff thrown forwards. Tried clamping open end of the Vax hose to bench on the feeder side... Nah.
Outside for me if poss - I prefer to do sanding outside too, even tho I have the basic Axminster air filter set up.
Good luck!

I do this too.
I have the Triton thicknesser also. Initially tried connecting to the DCA300, using the big ol' Vax. Unfortunately this doesn't pull enough as the Thicknesser port blocks up in no time.
I now have the Lumberjack 1200 (sorry, no idea if it's any more powerful than the 1100) . Using the 4" supplied hose connected to a reducer directly to the thicknesser, this doesn't block up and removes a fair amount of shavings, However I'm still left with a load of stuff thrown forwards. Tried clamping open end of the Vax hose to bench on the feeder side... Nah.
Outside for me if poss - I prefer to do sanding outside too, even tho I have the basic Axminster air filter set up.
Good luck!
Great thanks ,would it not be better to make more passes through the thicknesser taking less off and not so much of material being thrown forward , i do agree it does get really messy I only took 0.5 mm off the other day and the mess was incredible,I don’t think the neighbours would appreciate me doing it outside I have a double garage where my car rests and I was thinking of putting a curtain up a third of the way down to confine my working space .

Great thanks ,would it not be better to make more passes through the thicknesser taking less off and not so much of material being thrown forward , i do agree it does get really messy I only took 0.5 mm off the other day and the mess was incredible,I don’t think the neighbours would appreciate me doing it outside I have a double garage where my car rests and I was thinking of putting a curtain up a third of the way down to confine my working space .
Heh heh... I also do the 'curtain' trick - my motorbikes are still blathered in sawdust, gets past the curtain, under all the covers (also old curtains!), So I take 'em outside and blow them off with the air line (neighbours not close enough to be affected ) . Sure is a dusty hobby 😂

For those that want a 4" outlet rather than that which is supplied, then it's fairly easy to knock one up. This port was from a tumble drier
- just wondering

Can you please let us know how you get on? I was going to go for the cyclone option and use one of my two vacuums a few weeks back but never got round to doing it
Hi the 1100 lumberjack works brilliantly you still get some throw back of the chippings from the feeding end of the thicknesser but only a minimal amount makes clearing up a whole lot easier.

Also have the DCA300 then got a new Bosch table saw, 2" ish outlet, decided old Dewalt 18V vac used with DCA300 not enough suck! So sourcing a new vac decided to try cyclone-ing the Triton tub and removed the filter that clogs up so a stronger suck, swept 90 degree inlet same diameter as triton inlet, pipe aimed around side, hey presto a cyclone and it kept a most stuff getting to Dewalt vacuum tub :). As said above the pipes are too narrow on the Triton dust bucket, so pleased with my tinkering narrowed it down to Trend T35A vac being the most cost effective, but soon realised narrow pipe limiting flow and holding odd bits of offcuts under saw which would lead to blockage. Bought a Cyclone kit, fitted to to the lid of the DCA300 and the Cyclone+T35A+ 2" (50mm f'young uns) pipe, brilliant. So little gets through to the vac a bag and the filter will last ages and save a small fortune on bags😁, so one happyYorkshireman.
IMG_2696.jpg

Latest posts

Back