Extraction hose and cyclones.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basssound

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon, what's everyone's opinions on the following...

I want to keep my cyclone and bucket sysyem locked away in the shed and run a 10 meter hose outside to where I do the most of my work.

I've got a Nilfisk Aero 26 with what I suspect is a 37mm hose so suction is good and powerful.

Will I have any issues in lost suction if I use a 10 meter hose from the cyclone.

Its mainly used for my TS55, DW745 and biscuit cutter.

Should I look to reduce the pipe diameter to 27mm to increase the pressure or would 32mm be fine?

I'm also thinking of storing it when not in use and 27mm would wind up smaller than 32mm.

Also does anyone sell the adapters for 32mm or 27mm hose as my nilfisk ends fit the cyclone and tools perfectly.

basssound":1imer3p8 said:
Will I have any issues in lost suction if I use a 10 meter hose from the cyclone
Suction will decrease with friction and 10m of hose will add to that, not a huge amount but it needs to be appreciated is all. A lot will depend on how straight that 10m is as bends will have more impact than length.
basssound":1imer3p8 said:
Should I look to reduce the pipe diameter to 27mm to increase the pressure or would 32mm be fine?
I would stick to 32mm with a TS55 in use myself.

As you have probably seen, 10m (complete) hoses are fairly common so I suspect you will be alright. Just my £0.02 worth.

I've done a job recently where I couldn't get my vacuum through the small hatch into a high loft, but I could just get the cyclone separator through. I used a 10m length of 50mm hose between the vac and the cyclone and maybe 3m of hose from the cyclone to pickup some masonry and plaster debris.
The key advantage of this was the bigger debris that would otherwise tend to clog the long hose dropped out into the cyclone and the system proved pretty usable despite the long run of hose. If you leave the cyclone in your shed, because there's quite a lot of pressure loss with a cyclone 30+% , I think there's much more risk that your 10M hose will clog regularly and it will be a pain to clear.
I weighed the first several rubble sacks of waste during my job. From this and a count I figure that I vacuumed over 25 stone (300 lbs +) of debris and all but maybe 0.5 lb was caught in the cyclone. What did make it through was evil, fine dust that stained like laser printer toner. This clogged my filter bags quickly so I used maybe 5 paper bags and chucked them, effectively empty, as soon as the pores blocked and I felt a significant drop in airflow.
Masonry dust is heavier than wood so the cyclone worked especially well, but it needs a high air speed down the hoses to keep them swept and stop the debris settling in the hose. I find 40-50mm hose works well because it carries bigger chips and shavings without blocking and perhaps there's less friction from the walls of the hose. The air speed is higher in a narrower hose but I find the 2 inch stuff works better with my dust commander cyclone (which has about a 2" inlet and outlet.)
Let us know how you get on ....
(corrected, thanks Sam :))

I don't think I'll use it for rubble removal ect, all I use it for is saw dust removal but I'd like to keep the suction as good as possible.

I do t think I'll have many issues with blockages with the dust been fine, I don't own a planer/thicknesser or any large tools which create large shavings or cuttings.

I haven't got the space a huge cart and I want the ability to use this in the house so keeping them separate and having a long hose is more in keeping with my needs.

I'm really struggling to find a 32mm screw on euro connector which the likes of festool and nilfisk use.

So in the end I gave up searching for a 10mtr hose solution which wasn't expensive and decided on the shop trolley route.

I've knocked this up out of a sheet of 18mm ply, 50mm drainage pipe with connectors and some spare castors, I'll replace the front legs with more castors once I get bored at looking at them.

IMG_20190411_171608-1744x1744.jpg

IMG_20190411_171559-1744x1744.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190411_171608-1744x1744.jpg
    IMG_20190411_171608-1744x1744.jpg
    817.7 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_20190411_171559-1744x1744.jpg
    IMG_20190411_171559-1744x1744.jpg
    901.6 KB · Views: 215
Just a little update, since building the cart and converting to 50mm drainage pipe, the plastics buckets are taking a pounding and are now weak beyond use as they constantly collapse.
I'll be updating to a stronger bucket in the near future.

One more thing, can anyone suggest a decent 50mm hose as the standard Nilfisk hose can't keep up and constantly clogs with the extra vacuum power.

How about cutting a ring out of 18mm ply to fit inside the buckets? This would stop the buckets from collapsing.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

basssound":1f84zthf said:
.... plastics buckets are taking a pounding and are now weak beyond use as they constantly collapse.
I'll be updating to a stronger bucket in the near future.
You don't necessarily need to change the bucket, but to reinforce it instead. Get hold of some 12mm ply and cut out a hoop, or 'halo' such that it's a tight push fit about half way down the side of the bucket. Tap the hoop into position and your bucket ought not to collapse...I had the same problem and this 'fix' sorted it out. On a large bucket, you may need hoops at one third and two thirds the internal height - Rob

Both of my cyclones have steel drums & ive had no issues with them, I have 50mm pipe from vacs to cones on both, one has a 6m 27mm hose the other a 5m 38mm hose from cones to outlet, both give great suction

The suction power from the Nilfisk Aero 26 running through 50mm pipework is huge.
I don't think I could run a 27mm hose without it imploding the buckets.
I'm going to try the ring first off as I've got some scrap pieces of ply.
I'll also make a pressure relief valve. I'll make a separate thread for that.

basssound":3fpthg4s said:
The suction power from the Nilfisk Aero 26 running through 50mm pipework is huge.
I don't think I could run a 27mm hose without it imploding the buckets.
I'm going to try the ring first off as I've got some scrap pieces of ply.
I'll also make a pressure relief valve. I'll make a separate thread for that.
I run my 'shop vac system from a Numatic NVD 750 with twin 1200W motors. The vacuum generated through the smaller hose is 'considerable' :shock: ; hence the reason why the collection bucket was collapsing.
A PRV will take all of ten minutes to make; see Peter Parfitt's comments further down this FOG thread - Rob

Latest posts

Back