external shutters, re build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lawrence,
thanks for confirming that. The problem, in my opinion, is that eventually water gets behind all of the skin forming wood stain (lassures), varnishes, paints etc and that rot then ensues undetected under the finish. Reapplication also requires that the old finish be rubbed down, with cuprinol just brush off any dirt and slop it all over.
I doubt I will be in the house long enough to see if the my cuprinol treated shutters last any longer than the lassure treated originals.

Andy

Andy

Agree about the lassure type applications. Also care is needed when applying the Xylophane type treatments. Suggestions that some of the ingredients are carcinogenic. Don't know how true that is but you do need good protective gear.

Agree also about using Cuprinol. We have been using their "Heritage" range with pleasing results. Good coverage and seems to be standing up well to the weather here.

dedee":u70xrzsx said:
Jeff,

100mm certainly not standard in the sheds. I looked at châtaignier but the price was more than double sapin du nord and I figured that if they last another 18 years it would be fine. Mine are also only 20mm thick and again the standard around here appears to be 27mm which would have caused all sorts of problems with the concreted in hold backs and stops.

Hope I am not being dim - very wet here so brain is a wee bit soaked.

I'm struggling with your terminology by braces I assume the "Z". What are the ledges to which you refer?

cheers

Andy

I apologise for dragging up an old thread, but I have to build some "châtaignier" shutters for a client and I see you founds some stock available somewhere. Before I go and buy the rough sawn planks I wanted to check if I could buy ready machined stock - lazy, but....
Thanks in advance,
Richard.

Richard, I have also replied to your PM.

Hi Richard, no trouble at all although your geography is a bit out . I am in Normandie too just NE of Caen. Whereabouts in Normandy are you?

I think the correct term is "lame de volet". I did not actually find any ready made in chestnut I am sure I found prices on a website although I did not bookmark it and a google this morning has not found it either. They are available though eg http://www.ets-mazieres.fr > bois exterieur habitat > lame a volet.

The reason for the deterioration of my shutters has more to do with the design and finish used than the type of wood. The only rot was where the wood could not dry out under the thick coats of "lassure" on the lower horizontal brace. Although I cannot stop water getting between the brace and the boards I expect that the cuprinol (imported from the UK, haven't found a french equivalent yet) I used will enable it to dry out.

I'd be interested to know how you get on if you do manage to source ready made or machine your own.

cheers

Back