External Folding Sliding (Bifold) Doors - loads of WIP pics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you think it's feasible to incorporate a thermal break in the frame? Eg cork or other insulator as the middle later if you stuck with the 3 layer lamination construction method? I realise airtightness will be the biggest factor with energy saving - have you found the seals / construction method of your bi fold doors and windows have performed well?

Think you have done an amazing job, loved the WIP, thanks for sharing. Also glad to see that you are also a caravan man. Alrough we have been here in Devon for about ten months we still have to discover the delights of the local sites, looking forward to it on the new year.
BTW great video.

Itellya":1pk1m5au said:
Do you think it's feasible to incorporate a thermal break in the frame? Eg cork or other insulator as the middle later if you stuck with the 3 layer lamination construction method? I realise airtightness will be the biggest factor with energy saving - have you found the seals / construction method of your bi fold doors and windows have performed well?

I'm not sure that a cork layer would have the structural integrity needed for doors. I guess you could make each stile and rail like a torsion box with a foam core, but I reckon that the heat loss through 60mm of iroko is low anyway. What I think I would do though in any future project is to go for a "warm edge" spacer between the two panes of glass so that there is a thermal break between the 2 panes around the edge. When it is really cold, there is a little condensation around the edges of the glass where heat conducts through the alloy spacer. It's not a big issue though, and overall the seals have performed well, and there are no drafts in even the strongest winds, and the performance of the running gear is still as smooth as a baby's bum ! I wouldn't hesitate to use Centor running gear again.

I think the best "bang for the buck" in insulation has come from being positively anal about the insulation in the roof, walls, and under the floor screed. Despite having the biggest area of glass in the house by far, the kitchen extension is the warmest room in the house, and it keeps it's warmth throughout the day, with the underfloor heating coming on for just 2 hours each morning, with a top-up mid afternoon on the coldest days.

david123":1pk1m5au said:
Think you have done an amazing job, loved the WIP, thanks for sharing. Also glad to see that you are also a caravan man. Alrough we have been here in Devon for about ten months we still have to discover the delights of the local sites, looking forward to it on the new year.
BTW great video.

Thanks Dave. The caravan has now gone though. I never did enjoy towing long distances, or having to go out in the rain to fill the aquarolls, and when we sat down and crunched the numbers it made no sense. With the current availability of properties through AirBNB and other sites for holiday properties we prefer to rent, particularly now that in many places you can rent for any number of days, and with any start and end day. That means we don't need the capital depreciation of a caravan, nor do we need to run a large tow car the rest of the year, and when we travel the mpg doesn't halve, and we can go to more remote places. We find, for us, caravanning makes no sense and we prefer the extra comfort and space of renting and then sling it back to the owners. Turns out cheaper overall as well, unless you intend to be away several months each year.

Back