external door garage advice/help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lark

Established Member
Reaction score
garage back door its like a house door but now rottern.. buying cost silly money

i was wondering would sawn timber be good enough for the fame part 2 sides, top, middle and bottom with maybe mdf for the top and bottom part in side the frame... then painted.... full mdf would be very heavy as 47 rough thickness for door frame part

If you need a new door and don't like the price of new ones, I would have a look at your local architectural salvage dealers and see what they have. You should be able to get a sound old door, for a sensible price, and save your energy for sizing and fitting.

I certainly wouldn't want to build an external door using mdf. Even if you used the moisture-resistant grade, I wouldn't trust it not to swell up like Weetabix, with all the security that would bring! (I am assuming your garage has some useful tools and stuff in that you don't want to lose.)

yes it does lol..... main part of the door to be the sawn timber you can get from b&q and places like that might be £5/6 2.5m length and was only thinking mdf for the panel part to go in the middle 2 parts of the door... but i guess i could see if they have sawn timber that could take the place of the mdf square bits that go in the frame of the door

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/timber/saw ... icamp=recs
timber like that

Lark":25drsz64 said:
garage back door its like a house door but now rottern.. buying cost silly money

i was wondering would sawn timber be good enough for the fame part 2 sides, top, middle and bottom with maybe mdf for the top and bottom part in side the frame... then painted.... full mdf would be very heavy as 47 rough thickness for door frame part
Go to a local Double Glazing company and see what scrap doors they have , I have used them a few times on my rental properties ....You can get a half glazed and the glass can be replaced with Ex/Ply and painted .
Take a drill driver with you and strip of all the brass fittings off the other doors ,weigh them in and the doors cost you nothing .

i kinda like the idea making one as something new to learn build up my skillz for the future.. but yer instead of the mdf bits like u said about the glass i could use them parts as ply

Back