Quantcast

External backup drive - SSD or hard-drive ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I need another external backup drive and had thought about one of the SSD ones. But then I read somewhere that SSD was not recommended for backup purposes.

I know that hard drives inside PVR's have to be of a certain type as they are often working all the time and so perhaps there is some characteristic of SSD's that make them unsuitable for backup drives ?

Any thoughts, chaps ?

Pete Maddex

Established Member
Reaction score
The only problem with ssds is they can fail totally but if you are backing up properly you should have a off site copy so it wouldn't be problem.

Pete

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Pete Maddex":299i6zty said:
The only problem with ssds is they can fail totally but if you are backing up properly you should have a off site copy so it wouldn't be problem.

Pete
Thanks Pete. That's one of the reasons for getting a second one.

DrPhill

Cyber Heretic
Reaction score
How much and what type of data are you backing up?

I back up my essential documentation to a git repository hosted by BitBucket. Good security, easy access, free.

jeremyduncombe

Established Member
Reaction score
I can’t see any benefit in using SSD for backups. A standard hard drive will do the job just as well and will be much cheaper.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
DrPhill":x4itpmx7 said:
How much and what type of data are you backing up?

I back up my essential documentation to a git repository hosted by BitBucket. Good security, easy access, free.
The entire Mac ....about 250GB. Thats the first copy, obviously. Then subsequent copies only copy the files that have changed. SuperDuper...cracking program.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
jeremyduncombe":w4ump69x said:
I can’t see any benefit in using SSD for backups. A standard hard drive will do the job just as well and will be much cheaper.
Yup...I'm coming round to that way of thinking.

flying haggis

Established Member
Reaction score
i use two 2Tb drives in raid mode. both drives are ex sky box and cost me £8 the pair! the rest of the sky box went in the bin

Robbo3

Established Member
Reaction score
RogerS":2t03110g said:
I need another external backup drive and had thought about one of the SSD ones. But then I read somewhere that SSD was not recommended for backup purposes.

I know that hard drives inside PVR's have to be of a certain type as they are often working all the time and so perhaps there is some characteristic of SSD's that make them unsuitable for backup drives ?

Any thoughts, chaps ?
Not that I've heard of although defragging an SSD is said to shorten its life depending on who you believe. SSDs are supposed to have a limit on the number of times they can be written to however the average user would be hard pressed to reach that limit.
It's not that I prefer the tried & tested technology of a platter hard drive, it's just that is what I happen to have spare.
The couple of drives that I have rescued from set top recorders have both been spinners.

novocaine

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just put a 120gb drive in my old laptop, SSD was cheaper than the equivalent HDD but I appreciate this a small drive by modern standards and the price of SSD unlike HDD is size dependent right now. if you are after single point 1tb then go with HDD, if you intend to spread it over multiple drives such that you don't lose everything when 1 drive fails, I think you'll be about break even with SSD or HDD.

SSD life isn't really a concern for a backup drive, it's being written to fairly infrequently and read from more often, you want be using it for swap memory or temporary files (often the reason for high writes on a drive). There's a back of the fag packet calculation you can do but it asks you to make some assumptions that you might not want to make, normally it puts figures at the 1000tb-3000tb write life on a 1tb drive.

if you have the money, SSD should be considered if only for the physical aspects (doesn't matter if you drop it or not, sort of), if you want large single point storage that doesn't really move, HDD will be up to the challenge.

you pays your money you takes your chance. happy days.