Exterior finish for sapele

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoff_tulip

Established Member
Reaction score
i have a carved celtic cross - (graveyard style) - i'm getting to the point of finishing choices and am looking for some advice. Since the upkeep of such a cross in a graveyard is unlikely and the 'look' of it remaining good quality is important to me - i would like your opinions on suitable finishes.
Varnish and oil will need maintainance and because of the detail of the carving the item cannot really be rubbed back for reapplication.

I have thoought of just leaving it the way it is - perhaps a ligh coat of sealers just to stop water and algae penetration.

any help would be appreciated

Acrylic lacquer ?

Easy to apply,and hardwearing,although I've never tried it on anything outdoors...yet.

Andrew

Pure Tung Oil should be suitable with several well applied / dried coats, but even that may well need some re-coating after a year or two. It wouldn't need any rubbing or sanding back however so could be easily re-applied in situ. Liberon is one supplier.

i dont mind reapplying a finish - just not sure about an oil that hardens and how it will be affected by frost and long term weathering - wiil it crack ? etc....
i have heard of a clear preservative - has anyone tried this ?

Tung is somewhat flexible and doesn't give a hard coat. It is intended for both interior and exterior applications. Over the years, there is very little you can do to stop some deterioration, but that's your best shot I think.

Back