Extension Roof Fascia

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pollys13

Established Member
Reaction score
Um, not strictly woodworking but hope is OK to post? Just had a new EPDM roof installed on extension, by a reputable, long established company, done a very decent, proper job.

I want to place upvc capped cladding to cover the original timber cladding, which is what they would have done..... at a cost:)

After they ripped the old felt roofing and decking off and put the new roof on. Looking at front, on the right is a wedge type shape, see photo.The capped cladding I'm thinking of using 2.5m rather than 5m length as might be more manageable as a one man job? Can get the cladding as a 300mm width, though thing can get up to 450mm. Also might be able to source 2.5m locally and chuck in the back of car.
Would 2.5m length with joiners be acceptable and look ok, or is proper form to use one continuous length of 5m?
The original timber fascia is 20mm thick, the cladding I've looked at so far is 10mm thick, and has a cap gap, space I think it was 35mm, so taking into account the thickness, would be a gap of 25mm, the timber fascia is 20mm, so the uvpc cladding won't sit flat on it. Off the top of my head the only way I can think of to remedy this is to pack it out along top of timber fascia by 5mm, checking that I will still be able to butt the uvpc up into the gap they left for this purpose under the new roof.

I was intending to cut the wedge shape in the cladding using track saw and guides, though might have to buy a couple of longer lengths of guides...… at around 48 a pop I would prefer not too. I don't see extra lengths as being useful in future

If I do use 300mm wide cladding, the track guides are 200mm, so that might not work.
Perhaps a long length of clamped timber to act as a guide?

My brain might be fried, can't work out how I go about doing the wedge on the cladding. Seems a bit of upside down, back to front thinking. Making some kind of template then inverting it?
Any advice appreciated :)
Thanks guys.

I

Attachments

• UKW.JPG
    UKW.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 390
I'm slightly confused, do you mean one strip of cladding just below roof level or the whole wall to dpc level? And, why are you leaving that orphan timber in place? Would it not be better to replace it with PVC wholly?
Nice shorts by the way.

Sam

" do you mean one strip of cladding just below roof level " Yes.
" are you leaving that orphan timber in place? Would it not be better to replace it with PVC wholly? "
I'm intending to use capped cladding, which is designed to fit over original timber fascia.

Ah. Gotcha. Sorry for being dozy.

In my (limited) experince, longer, without a break, is better to the eye. Too many breaks/joins are also an invitation for weather penetration. All that said, you are looking at one 'course' and neither above point matters much therefore. 2.5m, on your building, is also proportionally a large dimension, better still.
As to what to cut it with, any saw will do. A circular against a WELL CRAMPED straight slating lath will do nicely. No need for a track saw. A hand saw, nice and sharp, will also get the job done on pvc. Laying out is crucial, and I'd recommend a masking tape layer over the cut to help marking and prevent 'shredding' at the edge.

HTH, Sam

Latest posts

Back