Extending crosscut sled beyond table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LancsRick

Established Member
Reaction score
So, I'm wondering if there's a solution to this other than obtaining a sliding table. I have a Startrite 175 which I love, but a few times recently I've wished I could do longer cuts with a crosscut sled.

The problem of course is that the mitre slots clearly only run the length of the table, so what are the best solutions for long cross cuts? My best (?) idea so far is just having really long mitre rails on the sled, and starting with most of it unsupported, just keyed into the slots, and then walking it along the table.

Are there any tried and testing methods that are better than this?

Cheers.

Not easily done as I have the extension bars already fitted so there isn't any clearance to build a false table unfortunately.

Not sure if my description will be great but a long sled, say 50cm longer than the cut you want to make, will result in 50cm starting on the table and engaged with the mitre slots. You could then use a roller stand, or two, in front of the saw to support the base of the sled, you’d not need to extend the mitre slots.

Fitz.

Thanks Fitz that's the sort of thing I have been thinking of, wondered if there was an ingenious solution I hadn't considered!

LancsRick":8jp46mqv said:
Thanks Fitz that's the sort of thing I have been thinking of, wondered if there was an ingenious solution I hadn't considered!

There is!

I've seen this done elsewhere several times in various flavours but this one I like best as you can sill walk to the front of the table:

... and now I can't find it...

Essentially it was 2 pieces of sturdy timber or metal angle bolted to the sides of the saw table top, with hinged legs - made as deep as you want.

It gives you room between to still walk to the front of the tabletop while supporting the sled - only 2 things need to be observed, that the sled runners are long enough to engage the mitre slots and that the sled is made at least as wide as the full width of the side supports - if you run the side supports past the end of the tabletop with more legs as outfeed support you could, in theory, make a crosscut sled as deep as you like.

LancsRick":1hlbnf7n said:
So, I'm wondering if there's a solution to this other than obtaining a sliding table. I have a Startrite 175 which I love, but a few times recently I've wished I could do longer cuts with a crosscut sled.

The problem of course is that the mitre slots clearly only run the length of the table, so what are the best solutions for long cross cuts? My best (?) idea so far is just having really long mitre rails on the sled, and starting with most of it unsupported, just keyed into the slots, and then walking it along the table.

Are there any tried and testing methods that are better than this?

Cheers.

You could possibly extend what I do when I'm using a mitre gauge on stock that is too big. I gain somewhere in the region of 230mm or so with this and could possibly go up 350mm unsupported.
If your rails are round it may be able to be adapted or at least give you a pointer or two.

As you can see it's made from the best materials money can buy along with joinery of the highest calibre.....(it was an old offcut from years ago):

W5RMWiX.jpg

Back