Extending cast iron table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Being a seated woodworker, I appreciate this is a problem specific to myself and not an issue for anyone else, but ...

I picked up the Axminster craft saw the other day, and what I really don't like about it is the way the table is pushed so far backwards relative to the base, with the cabinet and hand wheel jutting out infront.

For reference here is the new saw compared to my old saw.

1603713550171.png
1603713797124.png

Notice how the saw on the right has about 4 inches of additional table on the front relative to the cabinet? plus the width of the fence rail? this is what I am used to. It allows me to feel like I am sat at a table with my knees under the table. Hopefully that makes sense?

So I am thinking about how I could extend the front of the table. So kind of like having a side extension wing ... only on the front.

My initial thought was to just drill some tapped holes in the cast iron (like there are on the sides for the extension wing) and bolt some 30mm x 100mm timber as the extention. And then attach the fence rail to the extension. The cast iron table is 30mm thick on the sides, so centered holes would be at 15mm. Although the side holes are more like 19mm for some reason. I guess to account for the casting shape?

But that would need to milled fairely accurately to be accurate enough for the fence and keep things true/square. I don't have a planer, but could possibly get it good enough with the table saw.

My other thought was some 3090 aluminium profile? Drill a hole all the way through and bolt to the table? The profile would be nice and square/flat, but I can only dill exactly in the center. So no real wiggle room.

Wondering if anyone had any thoughts?

Just thought of a third option. A bit of worktop with an m8 bolt fitted underneath, like people use to attach table legs to rails with hardware.

1603715195054.png

Back