Extend wireless broadband to workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardroom

Established Member
Reaction score
Workshop at the end of the garden (100yds) and I am out of range with the wireless broadband from the house.
Wouldn't mind being able to use I pad down there and was wondering is there anything out there to extend the signal.Thanks.

I have tried load of different products for extending the wireless broadband. In the house we do use a Hawking wireless extender but I really don't think it will stretch it to 100 yards.

My wife works from home from a log cabin at the bottom of our garden, I ended up just running a cable.

Mick

Another possibility - if you are using the same mains supply in your workshop as that in the house and you can use an Ethernet connection on your I Pad ??? - is to use a Mains Ethernet Adaptor (pair).

One plugs into the mains in the house near your Router, and connects to one of the Ethernet sockets on your Router.

At the other end you have the Ethernet connection available.

Probably faster/more reliable than wireless anyway.

I'd second ethernet-over-power-cable if it's an option; I've used a set of these in two houses now to great effect, to get reliable networking in different rooms without having to run cable through the walls and floors. You'll often find them sold as "Homeplug" kits, IIRC.

If the iPad doesn't have an ethernet socket - and I expect it probably doesn't! - then you could always get a cheap WiFi base station and connect that to the ethernet in the workshop, set up a second WiFi network in there.

From what I understand, the restriction is that they have to all be on the same ring, though - the garage at my old house had its own spur (if I'm using the right terminology!) off the main CU, and I seem to recall I tried the homeplug unit out there and it didn't connect.

You can get "homeplug" wotsits that will give you a wireless signal at the other end. Been using one for years and works a treat..

HomePlug type thing + wireless access point for the ipad

Or cable + wireless access point.

Either way, we are assuming that you are able to plug an ethernet cable into your main router...so you can feed either a cable or the HomePlug. Wireless bridging (the alternative if you only have a wifi router ie no ethernet socket) can make grown men weep and offer up their children as sacrifices in order to get it to work.

Think this was mentioned above but you can get wireless dongles that are prepaid. USB connection I think.
I'm thinking about doing the same in my new workshop as seen as the yard has no phone connection unless I want to pay for it.

Also a lot of smart phones can do WIFI tethering through your mobiles 3G. Won't be lightening speed but a connection none the less.

I can't even get reliable wireless broadband in the house let alone in the workshop! Tried it twice now and it's hopeless so I ran a cable under the house and up into the study, in the workshop I just use my phone to go online.

RogerS":30f6w477 said:
Wireless bridging ... can make grown men weep and offer up their children as sacrifices in order to get it to work.
Airport extreme and Airport Express = painless bridging ;)

Max range for ethernet is about 100 mtrs I think; WiFi n is about 70 mtrs, and about half that for WiFi g, so some kind of wired/wireless combo sounds like the best option.

Stormer1940":3lhdm4dn said:
Also a lot of smart phones can do WIFI tethering through your mobiles 3G. Won't be lightening speed but a connection none the less.

Depends what sort of signal you get, in the city I get really fast 3G, its like decent broadband speed all the time. But in the sticks its like pulling teeth!

Another +1 for the plugs, fine for internet.

we installed a USB aerial and it's transformed what was a very flakey, maybe occassional weak connection if you were lucky to a full on excellent service - transmitter is a BT home hub 2 about 100yds away on the other side of the house.

it's wall mounted, on a 5m cable, and cost about 80

unfortunately I can't find any paperwork on this PC - if you want details I will have to look them up so pm me.

No USB on iPad...

I would either pick up
A cheap used adsl router off the bay and use it as a wifi point attached to a homeplugs, or it you've got decent 3G, get a mifi. (assuming the pad's not already 3G).

Si

knappers":2vg73fcj said:
No USB on iPad...

I would either pick up
A cheap used adsl router off the bay and use it as a wifi point attached to a homeplugs, or it you've got decent 3G, get a mifi. (assuming the pad's not already 3G).

Si
Thanks to one and all for the help, so knappers I have a spare asdl router at home and you say get this set up via home plugs, (2) ?. would I have to have the main plug in the workshop and the other on the circuit indoors.
Also my current router allows up to 3 wifi connections will this interfere with it in any way or will the broadband not be affected

The homeplugs would be used to get the ethernet from the house to the shed, if the shed's on the same ring main. You would then set the shed router up to be a new wifi SSID, making sure it's using a channel a few apart from whatever channel your house wifi (and if poss any neighbouring wifi) is using. InSSIDer is a good utility to run on a laptop to find what wifi is available and on what channels in your area. Turn off DHCP on the shed router, and make sure it's static ip address is set somewhere in the same range as the house one (but use a number higher up the range to avoid clashes).

Si.

Si,

I had always assumed that ASDL modem/routers would require an input from the ADSL port and yet to use them as a router in the way you suggest, they would need to take their input from the ethernet socket on the homeplug.
I'm not doubting your advice, but if you are correct then discarded ADSL modems would appear to be a cheap source of router/hubs and I could make use of secondhand ones.
I'm on VM Cable here so have no access to ADSL equipment.

Bob

Latest posts

Back