Experimental pens

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loftyhermes

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been experimenting with two more pens, the bottom one is Holly with green veneer for the knot and Honeysuckle, the top one is from a shrub that is in the Mahonia family (can't remember the name but has smooth dark green leaves) with the cracks filled with resin mixed with brass powder purchased at the Spalding show, which I admit was an impulse buy.

DSC00101.jpg

i think you have made 2 cracking pens there, really like both woods and nice fit and finsh too, well done..

Nice pens Lofty - i hope they keep their vibrant colour. When I manage to find the time I'll try that knot effect.

Dave

Very nice too,
It's really good to see experimentation with uncommon woods when pen making.
Good job. =D> =D> =D>

John. B

Thanks for the comments guys, only the holly was bought, the veneer was given to me and the other wood came out of the garden when we had a clear out. The finish is two coats of friction polish.

Hi John, no I haven't tried BLO, I've tried CA, melamine etc. also tried wax sticks of different sorts but I always seem to get bad ring marks with them and have to take the finish off and start again so I've gone back to friction polish, it's quick and easy and suits me, I have a bottle of orange oil that I use occasionally on light pulls or bobbins but I will try BLO soon.

Using a small folded piece of safety cloth, sort of half inch square.
With a cotton bud put a drop of BLO on it followed by a drip of thin CA glue, with the lathe running fast, run the cloth along the blank or blanks.
It drys almost instantly, so you can coat it several times.
After it is completely dry I then burnish it with EEE followed by friction wax.

John. B

Back