Expensive lathe??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seen it before, but it never ceases to amaze me!

When he uses the chisel to knock off the edges before putting it between centres always reminds me of the first bit of woodworking instruction that I got from my Grandad:

"ALWAYS make sure that the sharp bit is pointing away from you"! :shock:

Don't forget that horologists didn't really stop using bow lathes ("turns") until 1900 - since no bearing existed that was as accurate as a dead centre.

They were doing some of the most accurate work in the world this way, with hand held tools and a bow powered lathe.

BugBear

Jonzjob":ryle1noe said:
I too have seen that before, but so well worth another look. I'd love to be able to use my skews half as well as he does..

Taking your socks off may help :wink:

Regards

Yes, I thought the same about the chisel, I will ask Stuart how he sharpened them. I doubt he had a Creusen though :lol:

Jonzjob":3etkqoa1 said:
...That chilsel he has is a bit sharp! I wonder what system he has?
When I saw him he just had a little bit of stone in his hand, much the same as you see the eastern German turners using to sharpen their home made carbon steel tools.

Carbon steel tools take a better edge than HSS but don't last as long on a high speed lathe using hardwoods with a lot of silica in them but last well on the sort of wood he uses.
DSC01537.JPG

Attachments

• DSC01537.JPG
    DSC01537.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 1,128
Always had a problem when using the skew chisel, right - shoes and socks off tonight :lol:

Latest posts

Back