Expensive American Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't buy it either.
Presumably valuable just because of rarity, not because it's a superior saw.

well I am happy with my purchase. I am going to use it to learn sharpening on.

AndyT":3uik9avg said:
I didn't buy it either.
Presumably valuable just because of rarity, not because it's a superior saw.

Yes on the rarity. Disstons wares are the best saws made here, perhaps matched by some woodrough and macparlin.

Argus":j8hq3s2g said:
At that price, Paul Sellers must have mentioned it on his blog.

I think, to be fair to Paul Sellers, that's not the end of the market that he's noticeable in. Yes, he raises prices on relatively common tools which can be put to good use, but I don't believe this saw is ever going to be used again.

WMC saws have some strange attributes and have been collectible here for a while, predating the internet.

Pre-internet collecting in the united states centered around stuff like stanley sweetheart planes with decals and original boxes. Collectors would find other planes so commonly that they wouldn't buy them at any price. Back in 2002, a coworker's grandfather (not a woodworker) died, and they had a public sale. He had 1600 planes, and was not a well heeled individual. He was of the older generation where if you could find something valuable and trick someone, you'd get it off of them (he had a #1 that he got from someone for a dollar). But most of his planes were planes he couldn't resist at auctions, etc. Generally usable, but worn. A lot of things like cut off 7s, planes with hang holes, mismatched irons, etc.

When he had his public sale (well, his relatives did), he wore out the appetite for everyone to take more planes, and there were hundreds left that didn't collect a bid at a quarter. Between then and when this girl brought me a box of tools to look at, one of the relatives found the infamous stanley value book and all of the planes were dirty and none less than $40. They weren't accurately priced, but the quarter planes were gone. The relatives still didn't know the difference between the valuelessness of a cut off 6 and a 4 1/2, so I got a nice type 11 4 1/2 at the time (covered with filth) for $40 and turned down most of what they had left. They probably still have them.

That was unnecessarily long as far as this point goes - but some of you may have seen saws with panther handles. I've never seen anyone discuss their quality in use because they were several thousand dollars before paul sellers ever hit the internet.

I do appreciate paul's efforts in helping me sell an extra router plane and get more than the plane should've been worth.

Back