Expanding foam

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo60

Established Member
Reaction score
My Shop was built as a prefab garage with an up and over door. There is a gap at the bottom of the door which I was thinking of sealing with expanding foam, then trimming off excess so I can still open it. Would this work? or would it stick? TIA

Expanding foam is magical, but it's not a wearing surface, and certainly not for a threshold.

If you can make a wooden threshold, it will very capably fill in the gaps behind/around it. Once cut with a serrated knife, it's fairly strong, but brittle - think meringue. If you do use it, apply it with a proper gun (£15).

Perhaps draught excluder plus a wooden threshold would be more suited?

A rubber bumper strip attatched to the bottom of the door should do the job, A quick fix to stop the draught would be to put some pipe lagging on the door but i dont know how it would stand the test of time ,but its cheap enough to replace every once in a while and dead easy to fit.

Thanks. The door only gets used when taking in timber. I have an 18mm floor in shop which foam would butt up to. I was more concerned with the foam setting and sticking the door closed

Unless you fit some sort of barrier then yes it will stick and just tear out when you try and open the door. As above there gap fillers e.g. rubber bumpers and brushes you can buy. Otherwise you could use a length of foam pipe insulation to jam in the gap?

I got a garage door draught excluder from Screwfix, less than £20 per door and makes a big difference. Seal is continuous, slide in from end fitting aluminium strip is in 2 parts for shipping. I got rubber rather than brush because I occasionally got rain blown under in storms. Designed to be fitted on outside, I measured carefully and trimmed, fitted to inside so it flips over as you close the door so it looks better. Really tight seal, need to help door open with a kick to the bottom.

Back