Expanding bolts in brick wall to attach pergola?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I quite like Cardiff as well, went on holiday there earlier this year. One day was lovely, the other was constant rain :lol:

Hmmm. The word 'shade' seems to crop up a lot when you search pergola online. As I sat this evening having a glass of sustenance, I found that if I tilted my head to the right angle I could shade my eyes from the sun behind my 3" timbers. All was well as the birds chirped and my neck began to ache. But it was a delight, looking up at the sunlight shining through the opening vine leaves against a blue background.

But it's true, it does rain rather a lot here in Wales. The original intention was to build a roof so we could sit outside, cook and eat in spite of the endless rain. Originally I thought of large, clear sheets of solid polycarbonate but that was going to work out expensive, and alternatives either just looked ugly, or the uprights and cross beam thing that I'd built wasn't going to hold them up safely. If I'd been on UKW then I've have done them properly.

Then the vine came to the rescue. I remember sitting under a wonderful vine canopy at a wedding in France, maybe 18 years ago, drinking wine and talking to people and wishing we had this at home. Well now we have, albeit 3 days per year - once the vine's done its stuff.

Seriously tho, nothing beats the satisfaction of making something yourself, using it, and feeling happy. I've only really come to understand that in the last few years.

ps When the lad got back from his mum's (we share), he asked: 'So, what goes on the top of that Dad? Will it be a roof?'

You can choose your own definition;

Traditionally, a pergola is a structure with a crossbeam or latticed covering that can be freestanding or attached to your home to provide visual interest to your landscaping or patio. ... Structures that are similar to pergolas but have fixed roofs may be referred to as pavilions or gazebos.

Weyhaaay!
IMG_20200730_101633.jpg

Several of them this year, for the first time - not quite enough to keep me in wine through winter but very happy!

Attachments

• IMG_20200730_101633.jpg
    IMG_20200730_101633.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 33
The biggest is about 1cm at the moment - my guess is they'll develop a bit more but never ripen properly. Still, nice to see it making an effort!

Chris152":22xzikq8 said:
The biggest is about 1cm at the moment - my guess is they'll develop a bit more but never ripen properly. Still, nice to see it making an effort!

I wasn't sure if they would ripen sufficiently. Nice to look at though.

Back