Exotic wood purchase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy Nako

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I know that this has been asked before, but I'm struggling to find any vendors in the UK who can supply 'unusual' grain hardwood, specifically for box making.

Something like curly or quilted Maple. I'm actually not overly fussed as to the type of wood - it's more about the grain patterns.

There are several who offer veneers, but that's not suitable for my purpose.

Any recommendations very welcome.

Jeremy

Thank you all

I've placed an order with Woodwise. Not sure why they didnt come up in my searches, but looking forward to seeing what's delivered.

J

Tyler hardwoods near Hungerford have some lovely figured Sycamore at the moment, I resisted the urge to buy some but I have also bought amazing curly Maple and great Walnut from there before.

Ollie

Last edited:
Hi all

I know that this has been asked before, but I'm struggling to find any vendors in the UK who can supply 'unusual' grain hardwood, specifically for box making.

Something like curly or quilted Maple. I'm actually not overly fussed as to the type of wood - it's more about the grain patterns.

There are several who offer veneers, but that's not suitable for my purpose.

Any recommendations very welcome.

Jeremy
Sounds like you're near Surrey Timbers who are good, also Moss & Co were in Hammersmith now in Greenford. Very helpful too.

Maple is less common over here as it doesn’t grow so much. If you’re not dead set on the species some ripple ash is easily as impressive as ripple maple and way cheaper too, but open grained

If you are looking for small amounts of nice wood and friendly owner (and you want Brentwood in Essex) you really could do worse than the Hardwood Offcuts Shop.
Honestly the bloke who runs it as easy as you can find. I gather he started it to sell off cuts of wood he couldn't use in high end kitchens... and it seems to have grown. That's the story. There is a new website (still under construction in part it seems). While I was there people would turn up and get 'the welcome speech' but he seems a genuine guy and he has some top quality wood but you can buy in small batches for boxes or turning and he knows his market. You won't be made to feel like you are not supposed to be there. It's very much a take your time set up. Prices seemed reasonable but I don't know enough to judge well.
Also if you after are some bigger bits of wood he has those too in another barn. BIG bits lol.
I'd suggest phoning ahead and just having a chat.
Then have another chat when you go there. one more in between and then one when you leave. 😬

https://www.hardwoodoffcuts.co.uk/

Back