Exotic Dowel?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowlife

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can buy some dowelling in Ebony or a similar dark coloured hardwood? I don't need a great deal, a few feet of 6mm or thereabouts would be enough, just to pin some mitre joints on a box I'm making.

Of course I could make my own, and I do have a bit of Ebony in stock, but I was saving that for something else and buying some would be so much quicker and easier!

Years ago I was able to get exotic dowelling from a model shipwright supplier, but now I can't find them.

I've not used them myself but this company http://plugitdowel.co.uk have been recommended in response to similar questions. They do stock Walnut which might be dark enough for a contrast, but I doubt if you will find ebony very easily.

Lowlife":3qi3vwib said:
Anyone know where I can buy some dowelling in Ebony or a similar dark coloured hardwood? I don't need a great deal, a few feet of 6mm or thereabouts would be enough, just to pin some mitre joints on a box I'm making.

Of course I could make my own, and I do have a bit of Ebony in stock, but I was saving that for something else and buying some would be so much quicker and easier!

Years ago I was able to get exotic dowelling from a model shipwright supplier, but now I can't find them.

Have a look here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=e ... 86.c0.m359

Yes it looks as though buying some pen blanks and turning my own dowel is going to be the best option. Alternatively I could just use normal splines to reinforce the mitres, but I thought the dowels would look good and it's something a bit different.

I do have some Walnut dowel but really wanted a proper black, the box is Mahogany and I don't think Walnut is going to give the contrast I'm after, although the lid is Burr Walnut veneer so the colour would be reflected elsewhere...

If you want black, Wenge is more easily obtainable than Ebony and cheaper although I doubt you will find someone supplying it in dowel form. I've got a veritas 3/8" dowel cutter and quite a bit of Wenge and can try cutting some it you want to pm me with your details. Alternatively I can send you a couple of bits if you have have a lathe and want to turn your own.

Steve

Thanks for the offer Steve, I already have some Wenge that I'm using to make small jewellery boxes, I still don't think it'll be dark enough for what I want though. I'm just going to turn some Ebony on the lathe I think, shouldn't take too long to do, less time than I've already wasted as is often the case!

If you don't want to waste the ebony, why not use a conventional beech dowel for the joint but make the dowel a bit short and then put an ebony plug in the hole.

Now that's a good idea, I hadn't thought of that! when you think of it it would be a waste of expensive Ebony, most of which won't be seen. The dowels will only be around 15mm long, but there will be 30 or so and I'd need to make around 500mm of dowel, using your suggestion I could get away with a lot less.

Back