Excalibur Table Saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Seaco

The saw is here but unfortunately the mobile base went astray during the trip from the US. So rather than build the saw (600 - 700 lbs) then try a get it on the base, I am waiting so that I can build it on the base. Daniel Holton (who imported the machine) is chasing Delta for the bases so hopefully they will be here in the next week or so.

I will keep you updated and write a review as soon as I can.

Jeff

please can someboady put me straight, what is the real difference between the xcallibar 05 ans 04 and is there any need to buy the 04?

thanks bramers :?:

Looking at the pictures, the 804 has the Biesmeyer type fence with long rails, and 2 slotted cast iron extension tables, while the 805 has the pressed steel fence with shorter rails , one table slotted cast iron the other pressed steel.

However I did hear that they changed the specification for the 804 to a newer design, so I think your best bet is to give them a ring. When you do get hold of the sales chap, he is a wealth of information and from experience only too pleased to help

Dennis

do you know what the wait is roughtly to get one? + have you got one dennis?

bram

Hiya

I went up to Manchester to pick mine up, and have been running it for some months now. It's by far the best table saw I've ever had :D

They get supplies in batches, so again, the best thing to do is ring them.

Dennis

i read on an other page that franks saw beveled to the wrong side making it very awcqaud do you have that trouble on your? the one im after

kafkaian":tshho6a8 said:
How much d'you think we are likely to have to pay for Norm's 10 tonne ultra thick steel industrial grade table saw?
Don't bother - buy a Wadkin PP and get a HEAVIER, BETTER QUALITY, MORE ACCURATE machine that that American rubbish! :lol:

Scrit

Scrit":4oq3ik7s said:
kafkaian":4oq3ik7s said:
How much d'you think we are likely to have to pay for Norm's 10 tonne ultra thick steel industrial grade table saw?
Don't bother - buy a Wadkin PP and get a HEAVIER, BETTER QUALITY, MORE ACCURATE machine that that American rubbish! :lol:

Scrit
Well my Xcaliber 806 Unisaw clone cost £998+vat. Not too much to ask for such a fantastic saw. Scrit, I take it you were having a giggle, but you really should get you hands on one of these. You may change your mind.
Cheers
Philly :D

Philly

My comment was directed at Norm's Delta 14 or 16in saw - against a lot of Eurpoean made stuff (new or old) they are simply not that good - one of the reasons many American industrial users (including joinery shops, etc) buy European kit id=f they can afford it.

Some 20 years ago I owned a Wadkin AGSP, the only table saw I've ever bought new. Both prior to and since that date I've used various Wadkins, Startrites, Robinsons, Sedgwicks, etc. I've had the "pleasure" of using both a Delta Unisaw and the bigger and better Powermatic 66 in the USA. Neither of the American saws are a patch on the Wadkin AGS in build quality or accuracy, although the PM66 is ahead of the Unisaw. However, neither has a half decent rip fence (Delta do offer a European-style rio fence at a considerable extra cost) and both suffer from inadequate splitter/guard arrangements. Personally, I'd rate even the PM66 as slightly inferior to a Startrite TA/SP275 circa 1974 (which is about when development on both those saws seemto have halted). I've seen the Xcalibur in the flesh at Woodford (remember the semi-review/post I did elsewhere more than 2 years ago?) - it's a lot nicer than the cheapo contractor saws around and is good value for money - but don't kid yourself that it's as well finished as a European saw, because it isn't. When I had to make a choice between a new 14/16in Xcalibur or a secondhand Sedgwick 16in last year I chose the Sedgwick simply because it had a decent quality crown guard with a riving knife and a much sturdier European-style short rip fence which is, frankly a lot safer to use than the Biesmeyer type when you are doing a large amount of ripping. The Xcalibur was being offered with a flimsy guard and a splitter - they couldn't show me a riving knife version although it was supposed to be available (at an extra cost of circa £200). The Sedgwick came in at under £1000 and will probably a lot more seleable when I replace it, which also helped tip the decision...... So you see I've already made my choice, although I'm currently looking for an 18 or 20in saw for ripping - the Sedgwick is no longer big enough.

Scrit

Now if Norm was English, the Chinese would be copying better stuff...

The oddest thing is that the Wadkin AGS allegedly started out as Mr Burroughs and Mr Green of Bursgreen fame (really, they did exist) copying and improving upon an American saw (no, not the Unisaw or PM66) back in the late 1940s/early 1950s.....

Scrit

Scrit
That's fair enough-at least you know what you are talking about! :wink:
My 806 came with the euro style splitter and guard, perfectly adequate and limes ahead of the US style splitter thingy.
My brief for a table saw is slightly different to yours-as a keen hobbiest I have want an accurate, powerful saw. I have investigated/used most of the hobby saws on the market (i.e. Scheppach, EB, Jet, Record, etc) and found that none of them offered the level of stability and accuracy that I wanted. The 806 is a copy of an old US design but it is built like a brick outhouse. MAssive castings make for an accurate, vibration free cut. Mitre slots that are accurately machined (so they CAN be used). Lots of power (3 HP), a good fence (Bies type) and I'm happy.
I appreciate in a Pro workshop there are other factors that influence what you buy (and I bet you have more space that most here :wink: ) but for the keen hobby WWers out there the Xcalibers offer a lot. What I like most about my saw is this-it excels at cutting small pieces as well as breaking down the big stuff. Thats the acid test!
Cheers
Philly :D

does anybody know what the all sheet metal 804 is like? plus who has got some pics?

bramers

:norm:

bramers":t57yyo08 said:
If the King of Carpentry, etc....
Reckon I know a couple of guys who'd show him up as the Baronet of Bodge :lol:

he does make good watching, you have to admitt it. what else is there Non celebrity big brother.

bramers did you phone woodford and asked what models they have in stock and how long is the delivery time .

frank

bramers":22sp3rb5 said:
he does make good watching, you have to admitt it. what else is there Non celebrity big brother.
Jim Kingshott or David Charlesworth on DVD?

Scrit

Back