EX 30 new scroll saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hope you are all fit and well and staying safe

3 weeks ago I finally got sorted out with Axminster over my ex 30, , got a full refund for the saw and stand, I was going to buy a Jet but they had sold out, in a way I am glad as I would have been dealing with Axminster again, so bit the bullet and bought a Hegner multispeed 2, its way behind the technology of the Axminster, the table is smaller and aluminum, an the blade clamps are taking some getting used to, I have to keep finding them on the floor when they fall out, and the top arm dose not lift as far up as the ex machines the table problem can be sorted out by making an extension both sides of the table with a 5 mm plastic sheet on stilts - for want of a better word - and a couple of drawers one each side for blades etc .

On the whole its a better machine a lot quieter sturdier and in general a pleasure to use, its a pity from a scrollers point of view that there is not a greater choice of middle to top class machines to choose from, only Axminster and Hegner - unless I am missing something - it was once upon a time possible to get a Delta but they have been discontinued in the UK, same as Jet now and the dewalt never came here, they ca n all be bought in and use a 120 to 240 transformer, but its getting warranty work done and spares that be will the main problem there, on top of which there is now a tax on goods coming from the states, I have been caught out twice on that score with buying flying Dutchman blades, so unfortunately I have had to start using Niqua from the Hegner site plus they are cheaper £18+ for 144 blades, they do not do an ultra reverse, although they are made in the same factory as the FD, which seems strange.

Please have a look at the link that Droogs posted in this Scrolling Section. It's from a US site but explains pretty well "what's happened to Excalibur Saws?" (or a rather similar title, I forget exactly).

That seems to confirm what I've suspected for some time - it seems that there ARE some differences/internal cheapenings between the "Pegas"/"Excalibur" branded machine that I bought in 2015 in Germany (and which as often said, hasn't given me a moment of trouble since) and the "Axminster Tools" version which looks "identical" but which it seems is far from it.

Both Droogs and I own "real Excalibur" machines, and following posts from yourself and others John, we both began to suspect that the Axi version has been somehow cheapened/downgraded, even though this is not apparent from pictures of both machgines (onlycolour and badges seem to differ). Droogs' link to the US site seems to confirm that conclusion, and that seems to have been going on since at least 2017/8 or perhaps earlier.

Still, little help for you (and others) I realise, so best of luck with your Hegner mate.

Edit for P.S.
John, I've found the link to the info detailed above:

https://www.scrollsawvillage.com/articles/resources/excalibur-scroll-saw-what-happened

Last edited:
Got a replacement ex 30 for my old one , not many weeks ago, and already the problems are starting, last night while cutting 3 cms piece of wood, the blade eused to go where i wanted it to , so checked everything out, and found the bottom bush on the linkage that holds the pegas chuck is shot, and the arm is doing its thing and dropping, despite adjustments being made, no wonder they wouldn't extend my warranty.

On another topic anyone thinking of buying a Dremel drill my advice is dont I have had two that broke during warranty and one that has just gave up the ghost , just out of warranty, got in touch with Bosch uk and they dont want to know , no possibility of a repair, as its out of warranty and as for where I could get spares for it again they did not care,

take care
John
With regard to your problems with Dremel drills, my own experience of these completely mirrors yours. The first one I bought developed massive vibration after about 10 months light use. I returned it under guarantee, and they sent me a replacement which was actually a refurbished one.
This lasted a similar time before it went the same way as the first. Fortunately my daughter-in-law worked for Woolies in those days and she got me a cheapo Chinese clone that was much better than the Dremel in every respect. After years of abuse this also failed, so after a trip to Axminster, I replaced it with a Proxxon, which is a massive improvement - quieter, far less vibration and easier to hold. I highly recommend Proxxon mini drills.

So after months of emailing, Axminster sent me a new saw that is developing the same type vibration as the first one. Top arm is shaking like crazy. Weird is that it started all of a sudden. Like bang, and it has been increasingly getting worse.
I´d NEVER ever buy an Axminster scroll saw again.

So sad to hear that, I would suggest you try adjusting the motor position it rotates and can move a little side to side and vertically. This may help with the vibration. It is an adjust and try method but may help. Also check the link arm at the back of the machine this may be loose or bent.

+1. I'm also sad to hear that kstano83. Further above these last 3 or 4 posts there's a link to info that MIGHT explain what's happened. Not that that's much help to you of course.

As Droogs says, such a pity, because my own experience (with both an Excalibur/Pegas scroll saw, and with other purchases from Axi) has been in all respects excellent.

Dunno what else to say, can only sympathise.

hi id
So after months of emailing, Axminster sent me a new saw that is developing the same type vibration as the first one. Top arm is shaking like crazy. Weird is that it started all of a sudden. Like bang, and it has been increasingly getting worse.
you tell axminster you are having the same problems if not get after them, hoe you get sorted

take care

John

I sent my EX30 back years ago when thay first came out ( Pre Axminster branding ) , Back then they also had wiring faults

I now have 3 Hegner's a Diamond and a re branded RBI Hawk ( Painted green and called Record )

hi guys i have just sold my my ex21 and bought the new axminster ex30 but have only used it for 1 hour and its started to vibration and its very loud thinking i have make a big mistake

i wish i had seen this i have just got ex30 only used it for one hour and now loud vibration going to phone them in the morning but not sure now to get it fixed or ask for my money back

@dave2882:

May I ask why you sold your Ex 21 (and also where/when you bought it)?

Reason for asking is that I bought an Ex 21 (in Germany, not from Axi) 5+ years ago and have been/continue to be thoroughly delighted with it - amongst other reasons, it's been 100% trouble free and is a real pleasure to use too. And there have been similar comments from others here who bought Excalibur Scroll Saws at roughly the same time.

But since then, (about 3 to 4 years?) Axminster have brought out their "own badge" version of these scroll saws. Although in pictures the "new" Axi versions look exactly the same as the "old" Excali versions, it APPEARS that in reality they are NOT the same (been "cheapened inside somewhere"?).

I have NIL actual proof of that so cannot say it's fact, BUT since the Axi own version of the Excali saws have been on the market, several members here have bought these "new" Axi versions and it seems that almost without exception they have all suffered bad vibration problems (amongst other things).

So I respectfully suggest you do a search of this section of our Forum over, say, the last 3 years or so and see how many complaints you can find on this subject. I can remember several without trying too hard (no names though, except kstano83 above) .

The reason I say this is because unusually in my own experience of buying from Axi, the people who have been having problems with their Axi "new" scroll saws have also been having problems with getting Axi to stand behind the guarantee.

HTH (and good luck BTW).

Send it back get a refund and look for either excelsior or king branded scroll saws as these are the current versions of the original machine. Axi has the brand name but the machine they sell now is entirely of a different spec to the orgininal and I believe they have had a wonky production run that they are still trying to flog off to the unsuspecting. This is just my opinion based on a lot of posts over the last 5 years or so and I have been doing a lot of snooping about this. Even though they have renamed the machine in their recent shakeup, i still think they have old machines they are stuck with and not a new production run. Which is a shame as the design idea is brilliant just their execution of it is way below what you would expect but hey ho they are run by the bean counters now

excellent article about it all here

Back