Evolution 255

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Burnham

Reaction score
Hello, I have just purchased a mitre saw, evolution 255 SMS.
I am a beginner, the wood sawn seems to be a little rough,and the blade seems to wobble a little at the start of rotation. Sorry for being g stupid but have i done something wrong?
Thank you

Mark Burnham":geominzz said:
Hello, I have just purchased a mitre saw, evolution 255 SMS.
I am a beginner, the wood sawn seems to be a little rough,and the blade seems to wobble a little at the start of rotation. Sorry for being g stupid but have i done something wrong?
Thank you

Hi Mark...please don't shoot the messenger but the Evolution is the problem. It is not a machine accurate enough or of sufficient build quality for woodworking. It has it's place ...especially that blade as it will cut through metal with ease..but it would never be my first choice.

You will often see these use by fitters of aluminium windows and doors as site saws. Cheap for that job. Fit a proper blade for wood and it will be OK. If blade wobbles, don't risk using it until that is dealt with.

Hi Mark, I have the Rage 3 which is essentially the same machine.
Unfortunately I have to agree with Roger that it's not that accurate (possibly because of the plastic locking lug) but at my skill level it seemed good value.
I use a 10" Saxton 80 tooth blade for most work and the cut quality is very good, but be aware that some blades aren't evenly balanced and can induce vibration which will affect the finish of the cut.
Paul

I think it's a saw sold at its value point. If you want repeatable, out of box accuracy then you accept you are going to have pay (a lot more) for a saw.
You can fettle it a bit and tune it. But you'll have to keep making those adjustments and accept its limits. I just bought a different class of machine (used) on here but its priced new way above what I'd be willing/able to spend on a hobby mitre saw. For a good few years the evolution has seen me alright. Just. On mine you have to pull a little to the left when dropping the blade. So I do a few test cuts in waste each time I use it to get the feel. When I have it, it cuts a fair representation of 90 degrees vertically . Its horses for courses You'll have to 'calibrate' any tool over time. But this saw just isn't made to precise tolerances. That's why it's a quarter the price of a better one, never mind a really good one .
For the money though, it has a lot of value for those unwilling to spend a lot as far as I'm concerned. Don't write it off as a total dud just yet if you can get it to suit your purpose.
Cheers
Chris

There is wobble and then dangerous wobble you need to find out which it is. If the blade is tight in the arbour then the wobble is likely just from the runout of the bearings and shaft.
My tablesaw has a little wobble at start up and slow down but once its spinning its fine and cuts straight ( this is likely wear as its pretty old ).
As mentioned the blade is important, a universal blade is compromised. If you get a dedicated crosscut wood blade it will make a lot of difference. I like the Dart ones (I put them in my festool HKC don`t tell anyone) they are very well priced and good quality, good jigsaw blades too.
Worth spending an hour fettling it as best as you can.

Ollie

Latest posts

Back