evo stick wood glue ruined

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trojan62

Established Member
Reaction score
hi evryone,
i need some help with the above glue i bought just before christmas.
i presume becaause of the cold, the glue has turned to a porridge like paste that will not squeeze out of the tube.
ive still managed to dig some out and use it, and it still seems to stick ok, but its hard to use unless u can sqeeze it out.
would you reckon carry on with it, or bin it and get new stuff (any recommendations).
i would not of thought :cry: wood glue would go like this in a cold enviroment.

thanks....

Chuck it and gets some more. Many products we use like paint, varnish, oils, glue etc don't tolerate below freezing temperatures. I wasted no end of stuff in the big freeze last year which got to my usually frost free store :(

I was just going to start a new thread to ask the same question. My Evo Stick wood glue will not squeeze out smoothly and the nozzle is now blocked again. A couple of days ago I glued up a pair of bandsaw boxes, I've just taken the clamps off them ten minutes ago and they've fallen apart. I'm not happy 'cos this was my first woodwork project.

As you can see from this hastily taken pic, not a single joint held!

IMG00379-20120221-2253.jpg

If it's less than 50deg F, forget gluing...it needs to be at least 55degishF before I think about starting a glue up - Rob

Looks like I'm gonna have to use that big workbench in the dining room, the trouble is my missus keeps wanting me to move my stuff! #-o

There was a thread in October in which someone said "time to take the glue indoors"....now you know why! :mrgreen:

Still...think of it this way...next October you know what to do! 8)

Jim

I have been able to get a couple of polystyrene boxes with lids in anticipation of the cold spell either looming again or for the future and thought they could be kept in workshop (not heated). Got a feeling this may keep the frost out, any comments good or bad.

wardroom":1thi9tav said:
I have been able to get a couple of polystyrene boxes with lids in anticipation of the cold spell either looming again or for the future and thought they could be kept in workshop (not heated). Got a feeling this may keep the frost out, any comments good or bad.

Insulation slows down heat transfer, but doesn't stop it. Eventually the temperatue inside the box will equalise with the temperature outside, unless a source of heat is added.

Fiddler,

It may be fortuitous that your joints failed completely at this stage. Much better than having weak joints that fail after the project is finished, especially if it is meant as a gift for someone. At least now you can clean the wood up and re-glue it.

regards

Brian

Oh the joys of an integral garage/workshop!

I know it's small and untidy, but it's cosy in the bit that's inside the house! :D :D :D

whats the secret to keeping the nozzles on these bottles unblocked then :( Its the most idiotic design ever - I've taken to drilling through the top of the nozzle every so often to keep the glue flowing. Anyone know here to buy the old plain nozzles that don't have a closing mechanism?

I have said this before about 2 part epoxy too. It doesn't like the cold and goes almost solid at the temps we ave had, but! Not all is lost with it. If you have had the misfortune to have left yer 2 part in the cold it can possibly be revived. All you need to do is to get a small pan of water, brng it to the simmer with the 2 bottles of epoxy in it, I wrapped mine in ali foil just in case, and let it simmer for about 15 mins. It should (no promises) bring it back to its former viscosity.

I learned this from a Z-poxy seller in the U.K. after mine had gone almost solid.

On the other side of the glue coin. Keep your cyano in the fridge, it keeps very much better!!

As for the PVA. Our temps here have been very minus for a couple of weeks and my PVA has been kept in my unheated workshop with no problems. It was so cold for so long that both of our 300 litre rainwater tubs froze solid!

brianhabby":16966lvb said:
Fiddler,

It may be fortuitous that your joints failed completely at this stage. Much better than having weak joints that fail after the project is finished, especially if it is meant as a gift for someone. At least now you can clean the wood up and re-glue it.

regards

Brian

Thanks Brian, that's exactly what I've done. Got a new bottle of glue today and re-done the joints. The new glue squeezed out much easier and I could feel the tackiness as I lined up the joints. This bottle is staying in the house!

Matt@":8mxtfx85 said:
whats the secret to keeping the nozzles on these bottles unblocked then :( Its the most idiotic design ever - I've taken to drilling through the top of the nozzle every so often to keep the glue flowing. Anyone know here to buy the old plain nozzles that don't have a closing mechanism?

Don't cut too much of the nozzle away (If it's one of those sort of nozzle) and put a zinc-plated countersunk screw of suitable size into the nozzle. (You should just need to push it home, and it will keep the contents fresh and the nozzle clear.)

HTH :)

Benchwayze":1wlbe8a8 said:
Matt@":1wlbe8a8 said:

Don't cut too much of the nozzle away (If it's one of those sort of nozzle) and put a zinc-plated countersunk screw of suitable size into the nozzle. (You should just need to push it home, and it will keep the contents fresh and the nozzle clear.)

HTH :)

Evostick white PVA glues in green or blue bottles have twist open and close nozzles - inside the nozzle it clogs up after a week using it daily. Then you end up squeezing the bottle too hard to get the glue out then the glue starts seeping out from the cap and running down the bottle. Its an absoloute pain to clean out . On many other glue bottles, they have a simple one piece nozzle and as you say, sticking a screw in the end works wonders!

Cheers Matt.

I think I'd better check mine then! I bought in bulk a few months ago, but as I couldn't get a 5 litre pack, I had to buy 5 one litre bottles! But so far I haven't noticed any problems! I transfer about 1/4 litre at a time, for ready-use, to one of those 'hang-up' shower gel bottles. They are fine. Inside the lid, there's a dimple that seals the hole, and keeps it clear.

I 'll check the big bottles today after brekkers!

Obliged :)

Hey John,

That box looks great, I've only made one so far and have a few ideas for other ones, so I too would be interested to see what Fiddler has to show us :)

regards

Brian

Latest posts

Back