Everything seems to be going wrong...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edmund

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm just finished a phase in my latest project (hexagonal Moorish occasional table) where everthing I've done has gone wrong. :x

The unusual geometry (for me) has made things much harder, plus this is my first project where I've been doing spindle turning for the legs.

I turned all six legs first leaving sufficiently long square ends for the grooving I needed to do. The spindle turning surprisingly went ok. However, I needed to make a jig to cut grooves in the square tops of the legs for the cut out panels that are going in there. Clamping everything was really difficult as the angle was 60/120. I then managed to get the router cable caught under the fence (and didn't notice), with the following result
http://www.filehigh.com/serve/3221/105142.jpg
so I had to remake the whole spindle.

The other things conspiring against me are:
- tore out a chunk on what was going to be the finished side of the table top (which has now started cupping)
- despite the most careful measuring my angled apron ends weren't precise enough
- the cut outs in the panels are not quite symetrical (poor cutting by me :oops: )

I was ready to chuck it all on the fire last weekend.

Anyway, I'm sort of back on track now (at least for the moment :) ) and hoping the finished result will be worth the trauma.

Hi Edmund,

Well I have not had a cable snag but other things do sometimes conspire to to stop work turning out as planned. Tear out always seems to dog me when there is no spare stock. The clock I made for my son and his wife for their new house is 1 1/2" shorter than planed. :?

That is so annoying Edmund, hope it all works out in the end. I haven't caught the cable yet but have plenty of pieces of wood with similar mistakes - what you can't hide, you have to remake :cry:

Or you can make a feature of it.

Sounds like you are having a bad time at the moment edmund. Keep your head up it will come right in the end

Bean

Edmund

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

Keep at it, it will be worth the effort - and apart from us no one will ever know.

Andy

Thanks for the moral support. Have nearly sorted out the problems (and remade the necessary components). Fingers crossed both the table and myself will make it to the end in one piece! :)

Latest posts

Back