Ever wished you said ‘thanks, that’s kind, but no - freebie lathe chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdrianUK

Established Member
Reaction score
A well intentioned friend of a friend, knowing I have a lathe, asked if I’d I could make use of a chuck, as he had one in his garage and he was going to dispose of it at the local tip.

So, off we went, after all, woodturners can always do with another chuck right?

The gentleman concerned was a really lovely chap, so didn’t have the heart to say no.

This is what we came away with!
B9548A8F-FEFC-48B0-8F5B-A608AC2D92A7.jpeg
8A339F83-F3ED-4CD0-858B-02C0F050D37F.jpeg

I’ve not heard of the brand, Octopus, a monster engineering compared to my little SC4 chuck.

Still, when I finally buy a barn in France, at least I’ll have a door stop.

I'm pretty sure its from a press. I've seen an octopus branded bearing press on ebay - it was a beautiful swoopy cast thing. I think this is made by the same company.

Edit - google image search "octopus bearing puller"

I'm pretty sure its from a press. I've seen an octopus branded bearing press on ebay - it was a beautiful swoopy cast thing. I think this is made by the same company.

Edit - google image search "octopus bearing puller"

thanks TFrench, that’s exactly it. If it’s of use to anyone, PM me.

Thanks for the top packaging job Ade!
I had a quick look at it this evening, and found stamped on the boss for the chuck handle "Oldham armature mfg co". It's for pulling the bearings off motor shafts. Should come in handy at some point. Quick refurb incoming! Now I've got some more search terms I've found another one of the press I'd seen previously on eBay - I guess they were a set for motor rebuild companies.

Attachments

• 20220216_215934.jpg
    20220216_215934.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20220216-221145_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220216-221145_eBay.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 10
Tom, your welcome.
Was wondering if this sort of kit still has a use in today’s world, as in, has it been superseded by more modern equipment?

Back