Evening All

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericthebrave

Reaction score
Great Website, enjoy your posts, here are some shots of where I spend most of my time since retiring. I don't watch TV and struggle with computers so happiest playing in here
tempImageq4yLAz.png
tempImagentQ0uL.png
tempImagehQ6EP1.png
tempImagefjDmeD.png
tempImageZFRdgy.png
tempImageEPX9Oe.png
tempImageRdIvpu.png
tempImageBs08MY.png
tempImagentQ0uL.png

Attachments

• tempImagemAH4YP.png
    tempImagemAH4YP.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
In the words of that chilly bloke off the old B&W telly, hello, good evening and welcome. Very nice shop you have. You''l find lots of helpful and interesting chaps here

Welcome.
You are a little too organized for my liking. 😉
What is the thing on the wall in the bandsaw picture above the Scheppach?

Pete

Welcome.

Pete
Looks like an extension table for the Schepach to me
Brian
Welcome.

Pete
Looks like an extension table for the Schepach to me
Brian

Hi and welcome, as others have said it's a nice friendly place here and lots of knowledgeable people, nice shop and yes we love pics!

Padster

As other have said welcome.
What a wonderful workshop, I'm full of envy. I think we need to see a few of your products. I'm looking forward to your future posts.
Cheers
Martin

Wow, now that must be the ultimate man cave for us wood fettlers.

Welcome,you have a well kitted out workshop and it looks like its not just for showo_OWe like lots of pics if you have the time and inclination to take them and show us(y)

Thankyou for your comments.
Have just had a pleasant session turning some pointy things from scraps of ebony and box and using masonry nails or dismembered cheap scribes. These are most useful around the workshop and begged by non-turning colleagues.
Regarding the requests for pictures of my output, I have never bothered to photograph what has gone so I can only show what is still kicking around the house.
Chairs and a drop dial in cherry, regulator and telephone table in genuine mahogany, corner long case in cheap mahogany, bookcase/cupboard and desk in english oak, spinning wheel.over the years -hundreds of bobbins, these are waiting to be finished.
tempImageYHhlsl.png
tempImage7jMLRp.png
tempImagecSjhQX.png
tempImage7xQ7mt.png
tempImageEiIzMo.png
tempImagefc32Nr.png
tempImageHrxpR9.png
tempImageuyOZB9.png
tempImageyb5rPs.png
tempImagesCGBCo.png

You've made some beautiful things, taking a whole lot of skill. I particularly like the proportions on the bookcase. The chair is very good as well. very well done!

In your last picture are they bobbins or shuttles? I think I've seen similar things in paintings of lace making. Fascinating. I really like the spinning wheel, the proportions and detailing are just right.
Cheers
Martin

They are lace bobbins, of all the things I turn they are the most challenging.This is because the neck has to be so thin, 1/8" [3mm] is the norm so you can imagine the number of breakages that occur at that point. Also they have to be an identical pair for the lace making process ,making one is challenging but producing a twin is something else ! Very satisfying when you get it right. Mistakes only cost time as there is very little expenditure on materials, it's mainly offcuts and close grained.Defect free, fruitwoods work well. The blanks can be seasoned quite quickly at that size. An experienced lace maker will easily have 50 pairs [100 bobbins] on the go for each piece of lace they are working on.

I'm particularly impressed with the way that you've got the clock weights and pendulum to stick out so rigidly to the right! No hint of curve to the strings. :p:p:p

Back