Evans automatic saw. Or mill?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilyweely

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an Evans automatic RAS gadget. A big saw. It has a very large blade, 5.5kw motor, and can manage over 10inch depth of cut. With a circular blade. It is on a large gantry type set up.

I like the saw, in fact whats not to love? Dial in the speed, line up the cut, and press he button. Off you go. But my God, it is big. So, I am now toying with the idea of using it as a mill. Maybe using it to quarter saw timber? There is a pic attached. The size is apparent, isn't it?

It is all working as it should, and will easily manage full depth of cut in hardwood, particularly as you can slow the saw down to whatever speed you like.

Any suggestions, or do I let it go?

evanssaw001.jpg

evanssaw002.jpg

If you have got the space, keep it.
Unless it is fitted with all the current safety gizmos, it is unlikely to have a huge market value compared to the jobs that it will do with ease in an enthusiasts workshop.

Bob

You are right, Bob, it does not slow down quick enough to be acceptable. It is in great working order, and I would love to keep it but it is huge.
What do you think of the idea of flipping the blade thru 90' and using it to plank timber? I can see this being the only way I can justify keeping it. Alternatively would it have any lifespan left outside under a tarp. I wouldn't have to worry too much about it getting nicked, although they'll take anything round here I think they would have a lot of trouble moving it without making the mother of all dins. It weighs a ton. Literally. I would need to put a large convertor in as I do not have 3 phase.
Is there any easy (read cheap) way of bringing it into line with regs? Would it need more than a brake? It has quite extensive guards.
I thought I had seen a similar tool being used to quarter saw oak. Obviously a lot bigger and longer, but you could get just over 4ft in this, and as I said it would manage power wise. My friend wants to use it as some sort of cncsaw/router/gadget. I love the idea of this but it would surely need a warehouse to get it in, and my dining room is full of oak and machines already. I think you can all imagine what my wife said when I got home with this little 'toy' can't you?
Thanks for your help Bob.

Neil

You would need one hell of a single phase supply to run a converter satisfactorily. Add that to it needing to be indoors to be any good, sounds like you can pass it on to your mate and get him to let you use it every now and then.
If you want to board out logs then how about an Alaskan mill with a home brew jig for quarter sawing if needed?

Bob

Latest posts

Back