European woodworking show

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I will definitely be there, as I'm putting on a display of 18th century planes, and also demonstrating the use of moulding, and other planes. I've not been to this show before, so I'm realy looking forward to it.

I'm going - should be an excellent event. Look forward to your demonstration of moulding planes, Richard :)

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Too far for me. I could almost guarantee that it'll be the same old stuff from the same old companies and we all know who they are - Rob

woodbloke":3ktk9dxg said:
Too far for me. I could almost guarantee that it'll be the same old stuff from the same old companies and we all know who they are - Rob

Are you having a bad day Rob there are some negative vibes coming from Salisbury today?

Tom K":1vf8z2vc said:
woodbloke":1vf8z2vc said:

Are you having a bad day Rob there are some negative vibes coming from Salisbury today?
Not at all Tom, having an excellent day, but I've thought for some time that many of the shows are 'so so' and fairly predictable and if you've been to one :wink:...That said, I've not been to CT so if I did I might have to force feed 'humble pie', but it's also a long round trip from Salisbury (300+ miles maybe, in a day?). Unquestionably, the best part of these shows is meeting up with fellow UKW members for a good natter which more than compensates for the stalls, most of which I've seen countless times. My local show is Yandles which I try and get to at least once a year, mainly for the offerings in the wood shed, which are generally pretty good with the caveat that you get there early! :mrgreen: - Rob

It's probably nicely situated for CHT but it's not very central for the majority of the UK?
It's a very long way for me too so
with the cost of fuel and entry fee, an expensive day out?
Like Rob, I've been to a number of these shows in the past when they were within a reasonable travelling distance but nowadays theres nothing much happening in the South so most of my trips are confined to Yandles?

Rod

I fancy going, if only to see the old barn etc. It looks great in the pictures. But they say no dogs in the buildings or grounds and although they would find it difficult to enforce they make no mention of excepting guide dogs.

This show's more than just about buying tools. Plenty of people there who you can learn useful stuff from. I went last year and found it very worthwhile, so I'm going this year as well :)

Paul

Paul Chapman":pnlk6k7a said:
This show's more than just about buying tools. Plenty of people there who you can learn useful stuff from. I went last year and found it very worthwhile, so I'm going this year as well :)

Paul
Fair enough Paul, but let's look at the list of Guest Demonstrators and see what I'd be interested in learning:

Arbotech - Kevin Inkster: I'm not a carver so of no interest whatsoever
Tom LN - predictable...seen his stuff at dozens of other shows
Andy Hibberd - sculpture and carving...ditto Arbotech
Association of Wood Turners - spiny stuff...boring (sorry to those from the 'dark side')
Austrian Wood Carving - Arbotech again, of no interest
Bob Neil - Pyrography - burning stuff, not my scene
Brian Walsh - stick making. Made a few, comparatively easy to do
British Woodcarvers Association - of no interest
Chris Giggs - pole lathe - of no interest
Dave Johnson - wood sculpture...of no interest
David Charlesworth - no indication of what David will be doing, but I'd almost guarantee that his No5 will be there along with some very nice, easy to plane maple (or similar) all of which I've seen at other shows
Dylan Pym - horrible bent and contorted furniture...of no interest
Hawthorn Heavy Horses - cute, but of little or no interest
Hope Woodturning - spiny stuff, of no interest
James Mursell - of some interest, but I've seen his stuff before at West Dean
John Lloyd - as above
Jon Tiplady - wheelwright...of no interest
Jonathen Green-Plumb - antique tool collector. Of no interest.
Les Thorne - spiny stuff, of no interest
Mark Hancock - spiny stuff, as above
Mike Huntley - the only demonstrator there who's of any interest to me, but he lives on my doorstep so I can nip over and see him almost at any time...in fact we regularly meet up at least once a month.

Looking at the demonstrators, I also see that David Savage is there, who would be worth nattering to as would be Richard Maguire and Tom Sustins...but I met both of them very recently at Pete Sefton's Bash.

So what's in it for me, apart from a very long car journey, the entrance fee and an equally long ride back home? - Rob

woodbloke":vcxah4jq said:
So what's in it for me

Dunno - we all seem to have different objectives when we attend these shows. But no need to knock it if you're not going. Mike Hancock is doing a lot of work to grow this event and I, for one, am happy to support him.

Paul

Paul Chapman":1bp5gsz1 said:
woodbloke":1bp5gsz1 said:
So what's in it for me

Dunno - we all seem to have different objectives when we attend these shows. But no need to knock it if you're not going. Mike Hancock is doing a lot of work to grow this event and I, for one, am happy to support him.

Paul
Not knocking it at all Paul, but as I said, these shows are pretty predicable and a bit 'same old, same old' with very little, personally, in it for me. Clearly, loads of other folk are going to find it fascinating. I think if you live in that part of the world (i.e. NE of Londres) and the drive is relatively easy, it makes it a bit more palatable but from Salisbury it's a hell of a hike for what could well be a pretty dubious day out - Rob

I have been for the previous 2 years

Thought it was very good

Good food and beer :lol:

A Japanese woodworker , lots of interesting demos and some special offers

So if you do get the chance to go , I would advise you do :wink:

I've never been to the show and am going to find out information about wood carving ,I want to start doing lathe work so will look for info on that .and might buy stuff if at bargain prices

Just bought my tickets for me and the wife saved £5.00 on the internet

Paul Chapman":18jnwrtw said:
woodbloke":18jnwrtw said:
So what's in it for me

Well, reading the list of demos etc. that WB wouldn't find interesting nearly convinced me to look for a cheap flight from Aberdeen to Stansted :D

Wish we had anything half as interesting within 200 miles :(

Harbo":6mhmctno said:
It's probably nicely situated for CHT but it's not very central for the majority of the UK?
It's a very long way for me too so
with the cost of fuel and entry fee, an expensive day out?
Like Rob, I've been to a number of these shows in the past when they were within a reasonable travelling distance but nowadays theres nothing much happening in the South so most of my trips are confined to Yandles?

Rod

Likewise Rod, too far and too expensive on fuel, entrance etc, plus I might be tempted to get more stuff I don't need !

Would definitely go if a bit closer and would be a great day out for those that are closer.

I enjoyed the West Dean ones when they were being held.

Cheers, Paul

Back