European woodworking show

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why is it called the 'European woodworking show' ?
I can only see one non UK exhibitor on the list.
Anglo-Austrian woodworking show.
Anyway I hope the weather is good and everyone who decides to attend has a good time.
The UK seems to have a lot of these events compared to the rest of Europe. In the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium and France woodworking fairs almost all focus on mass production manufacturers. So really you are a lucky lot, and if you don't use it you'll lose it.

If you do go

Make sure you buy a Hog Roast Roll with all the trimmings , Best I have ever eaten

I had 2 , PIG :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

paulm":110c2a71 said:
Harbo":110c2a71 said:
It's probably nicely situated for CHT but it's not very central for the majority of the UK?
It's a very long way for me too so
with the cost of fuel and entry fee, an expensive day out?
Like Rob, I've been to a number of these shows in the past when they were within a reasonable travelling distance but nowadays theres nothing much happening in the South so most of my trips are confined to Yandles?

Rod

Likewise Rod, too far and too expensive on fuel, entrance etc, plus I might be tempted to get more stuff I don't need !

Would definitely go if a bit closer and would be a great day out for those that are closer.

I enjoyed the West Dean ones when they were being held.

Cheers, Paul
Absolutely Paul and as far as I can make out, not a plank of timber for sale either :( As GS also pointed out, where are all the foreigners from across the water? Dicktum and Dieter Schmid from Germany say? - Rob

woodbloke":2ncf850d said:
where are all the foreigners from across the water? Dicktum and Dieter Schmid from Germany say?

Why would you want them there :? They are simply tool retailers based in Germany. If you want to buy stuff from them, simply log in to their website.......

Cheers :wink:

Paul

The line up of demonstrators is staggering for a British show :-

The Association of Woodturners of Great Britain
The Austrian Woodcarving School
Andy Hibberd - Stone & Wood Carving
Bob Neill Pyrography
Brian Walsh - Woodcarving
Chris Griggs - Pole Lathe Turner
David Charlesworth - Author, cabinet making skills
Essex Region of The British Woodcarvers Association
Hope Woodturning
James Mursell - Chairmaking & Hand Tools
John Lloyd - Cabinetmaker, Authior & short course provider
Jon Tiplady - The Suffolk Wheelwright
Jonathan Green-Plumb - Author
Kevin Inkster - Arbortech inventor and demonstrator
Lenka Pavlickova - Marionette Maker
Les Thorne - Woodturning & Finishing with Chestnut Products
Mark Hancock - Woodturning
Michael Hudson - Clifton Planes
Michel Auriou - Auriou Toolworks, France
Nick Blishen - Guitar Maker
Nic Westerman - Blacksmith
Paul Bignell - Woodcarver
Paul Hayden - Pole Lathe Turning & short course provider
Peter Dibble - Basketmaker
Renegade Rhythms - Drum Maker
Richard Arnold - 18th Century Moulding Techniques
Sandon Woodturners
Steve Woodley - Timber Hewing, Wetterlings & Gransfors Bruks Axes
SVWC Carving - Simon Clements woodcarver & sculptor
TATHS - The Tools and Trades History Society
The Rocking Horse Shop
Thomas Lie-Nielsen & Deneb Puchalski - Lie-Nielsen Toolworks, USA
Tim Atkins - Chainsaw Carving
Westover Woodlands -
Willy Rackham - Bow Maker
David Savage - firniture making skills, short course provider

I for one take my hat off to Classic hand tools for bring together such a huge range of woodworking styles together for the show.

Not only that, which would be worth the effort & expense to get there but also 30 trade exhibitors including 2 timber suppliers & a couple of European exhibitors.

I`ve been to most woodworking shows but I can`t think of one from the past that could compete with the Classic hand tool line up.

Paul Chapman":1h86hlze said:
woodbloke":1h86hlze said:
where are all the foreigners from across the water? Dicktum and Dieter Schmid from Germany say?

Why would you want them there :? They are simply tool retailers based in Germany. If you want to buy stuff from them, simply log in to their website.......

Paul
Given as an example Paul...it's advertised as a 'European' show - Rob

Paul Chapman":2twu34yo said:
Doug B":2twu34yo said:
I for one take my hat off to Classic hand tools for bring together such a huge range of woodworking styles together for the show.

+1 :D

Paul
CHT have done a great job, let's be fair, but I've seen a large majority of those demonstrators at other shows and would only give them cursory look. If I lived much closer then I might be tempted, but as Paulm and Rod have said, it's too far and too expensive...

...and having just looked at the diary, I shall be in 'la belle France' anyway :oops: :oops: - Rob

I have been a couple of times. Not too far for me and an interesting venue that my wife enjoys too. Don't need any tools, but you never know.... But both times I've been I have come away with some lovely planks. The people on the Lincolnshire Woodcraft stand have always been helpful, at the show, on the phone and at home in Stanford. For a novice like me the opportunity to handle the wood and talk it over with someone who knows more than me is very useful.
I'll be there and as early as possible to get the pick of what they have.
Simon

I've never been to the show so will make my mind up after weather it was worth the 400mile round trip

mmab9":1votdg35 said:
I've never been to the show so will make my mind up after weather it was worth the 400mile round trip

If you just walk around , you can see everything in a very short time

However , if you stop and talk to people it a great day out

I stopped and chatted with lots of people

Even had a go at carving a rocking horse head :)

The gents on the woodcarving display were very informative

As was David Charlsworth , Phil Edwards , Rob Cosman , The list goes on and on

Each time I have been I attended on both days

And NO I don't :wink: work for CHT

why do people run down events like this .I have never been to any event and seen any of the exhibitors .like it was said earlier in the thread if you don't use it you will loose it .

mmab9":3qquxywp said:
why do people run down events like this .I have never been to any event and seen any of the exhibitors .like it was said earlier in the thread if you don't use it you will loose it .

Yes, it's quite baffling why some people are so negative about these events. There was an interesting thread back in 2006 when the situation with woodworking shows was dire. One or two members threw in some ideas and then Mike Hancock came up with some which really caught people's imagination. Since then Mike has developed these ideas and we have had excellent events at Westonbirt, West Dean and now Cressing Temple, which have been a mixture of tool sales, demonstrations and inspirational stuff as well as getting interesting people along from overseas.

Mike has put a tremendous amount of work into these events and it's good that some people appreciate it and support the events. If you've not been before, you will really enjoy it.

Here's a link to the 2006 thread I referred to possible-hand-tool-led-show-exhibition-next-year-t12021.html

Paul

mmab9":1bq02m5x said:

Because some people have nothing better to do. Typical boring "seen it all before" type that go out of their way to be negative.

Shows, sadly, seem to be a dying breed. Hope the weather is kind to those attending.

Noel":2dqsnc6w said:
mmab9":2dqsnc6w said:

Because some people have nothing better to do. Typical boring "seen it all before" type that go out of their way to be negative.

Shows, sadly, seem to be a dying breed. Hope the weather is kind to those attending.
Thanks I hope so :wink:

Noel":2isxjw20 said:
The sarcasm is noted and to be expected. I have gone to some lengths to explain why I won't be going, but just for your benefit so you completely understand I'll say it again:
1. It's a 300+ mile round trip in a day...too far!
2. Many of the exhibitors I've seen before at other shows
3. There's an entrance fee to add to the cost of fuel
4. A lot of the exhibitors I'm not interested in anyway and would only give a cursory glance to
5. I shall be on holiday in France

The real benefit of these shows is to meet other members for a good natter and also if you haven't been to one, then CT probably comes highly recommended.

All clear? :roll: - Rob

woodbloke":dr0n001h said:
Noel":dr0n001h said:
The sarcasm is noted and to be expected. I have gone to some lengths to explain why I won't be going, but just for your benefit so you completely understand I'll say it again:
1. It's a 300+ mile round trip in a day...too far!
2. Many of the exhibitors I've seen before at other shows
3. There's an entrance fee to add to the cost of fuel
4. A lot of the exhibitors I'm not interested in anyway and would only give a cursory glance to
5. I shall be on holiday in France

The real benefit of these shows is to meet other members for a good natter and also if you haven't been to one, then CT probably comes highly recommended.

All clear? :roll: - Rob

Believe me I wasn't being sarcastic.....
You've posted at least 8 or 9 times,maybe even 10 times in this thread. Each post has been derogatory about the show, the demonstrators, the trade stalls, even the name of the show, how far away it is, the entrance fee and on and on and on and on...zzzzzzzzz. Did you not notice that many were critical of your posts? And of course you've absolutely nothing to learn, as you said "What's in for me"
Then you come out with the classic "I shall be on holiday in France". I'm obviously missing something here, some agenda I'm not aware of (is there?) or a parallel universe that exists beyond the scope of this forum.
Why anyone would want to know in the first place that you're not going is beyond me. Is anyone really interested? Will attendance dramatically fall due to your absence? Will the Sun hold the front page? Looks like nothing but a bad dose of self importance to me.

So, do you see my point (and other's)? I've no doubt the organisers/Mike Hancock have put a tremendous amount of effort into growing and running the show and having somebody repeatedly disparage it can't be and isn't helpful. In fact it's rude.

woodbloke":1cgipk1s said:
...and having just looked at the diary, I shall be in 'la belle France' anyway :oops: :oops: - Rob

Which bit are you going to??? (sorry pedants - to which bit are you going??)

gus3049":1bh6w4lx said:
woodbloke":1bh6w4lx said:

Which bit are you going to??? (sorry pedants - to which bit are you going??)
Normandy, having a look at the 'D' day beaches and visiting a forum member from TWH - Rob

Noel":wmh2w6yr said:
Believe me I wasn't being sarcastic.....
You've posted at least 8 or 9 times,maybe even 10 times in this thread. Each post has been derogatory about the show, the demonstrators, the trade stalls, even the name of the show, how far away it is, the entrance fee and on and on and on and on...zzzzzzzzz. Did you not notice that many were critical of your posts? And of course you've absolutely nothing to learn, as you said "What's in for me"
Then you come out with the classic "I shall be on holiday in France". I'm obviously missing something here, some agenda I'm not aware of (is there?) or a parallel universe that exists beyond the scope of this forum.
Why anyone would want to know in the first place that you're not going is beyond me. Is anyone really interested? Will attendance dramatically fall due to your absence? Will the Sun hold the front page? Looks like nothing but a bad dose of self importance to me.

So, do you see my point (and other's)? I've no doubt the organisers/Mike Hancock have put a tremendous amount of effort into growing and running the show and having somebody repeatedly disparage it can't be and isn't helpful. In fact it's rude.
I've said elsewhere in this thread that CHT have done a great job and it would be a good show if you've never been to one...what's rude or derogatory about that? It's just that for me, personally and myself I won't be going...period.

I also won't be posting any more on UKW. I reckon my time here has long run it's course, just the same as Alf, who for some reason also doesn't post...I wonder why that is? :-k :-k

Adios - Rob

Back