European beech for shelving

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Barto

👍
Reaction score
Hi all,

Some friends of mine want to make a shelving unit to cover one of their walls. They’re interested in european beech but want to know what its stability is like, will it warp or distort more so than other timbers, and how does it naturally age. That is, does it yellow with age.

I know very little about this so any thoughts welcome!

my experience of it is it's very nice to work as long as there's no knots or mineral deposits watch out for dark brown spots, which will blunt blades very fast, it moves quite a bit though, much more than oak, one of the worst woods for movement but don't let it put you off, it can look a bit bland though when flatsawn.

My kitchen cupboard doors are all European beech - they look pretty good, even after 15 years. Very even colour. Do you need a photo? Please say no :)

I use a lot of beech. Admittedly mostly in small pieces, but I like it.
I can cut shape and sand it better than the other hardwoods I use.
Here I buy whats called "superior steamed beech" because thats whats available.

My kitchen is beech faced chipboard (chipboard? not sure if that is the current technical term?) and the colour has darkened considerably over 12 years.

But its the most boring hardwood I know. Almost no grain and very uniform and a very neutral colour. On a large long shelving unit that is going to be a room feature I would think there would be a better looking wood available.

Back